40

Chapter 40 | In Motion

Still dressed in his work attire, he walked into the facility in the woods. He didn't even need to show his credentials. The elevator opened for him to reach the floor where he knew Chanseong would be.

As he exited the elevator, he clenched his teeth. What did he get himself into? That was the only thing that seemed to float around in his head.

"Sir?" The familiar voice of Jaebum called out to the Leopard Hybrid who was looking out the window with a glare.

"What?" Chanseong hissed.

"Namjoon and Jimin have started their ruts," Jaebum reported.

"Oh?" Chanseong's mood drastically changed. A crazed look appeared in his eyes as his lips curled up in a smirk.

"Sir, don't you think going after Y/N-ie is just putting everything at risk?" Jaebum asked, nervous for you, his friend. "She's well acquainted with everyone in the station. As soon as she goes missing-"

"Are you questioning my decision?" Chanseong growled, causing Jaebum to cower slightly.

"No, sir," Jaebum said quietly. "I'm merely pointing out that as soon as Y/N goes missing, her pack and the entire Hybrid Unit is going to-"

"They won't," Chanseong was very firm in his belief. "You will stop them from taking on the case."

"But, sir. The Chief sees her as his daughter. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to put a stop-"

"Jaebum, Jaebum, Jaebum," Chanseong tutted patronizingly. "Don't forget, you were the one who came to us for help. You were the one who betrayed your brothers in blue. So I suggest you play your part. Properly."

"Yes, sir," Jaebum said through gritted teeth.

When Jaebum joined the group, this was the last thing he expected. He joined because he believed in the serum that the ADTOY Company was creating. He believed that the serum that they were developing was going to help the Hybrids. That it was going to make the oppressed lives of Hybrids better. That no one else had to go through what he did years ago. He didn't join to aid the perverted Hybrid in kidnapping someone he considered as a sister.

"Good," Chanseong nodded with a sickening grin. "Hyun!"

Hyun walked into the room and gave Jaebum a dirty look but put on a professional look for Chanseong.

"Yes, sir?"

"How's our guest and his pack doing?" Chanseong asked.

"He's still not speaking, sir," Hyun relayed. "His pack doesn't seem to know anything though."

"That's fine," Chanseong dismissed quite easily. "We have a little trip we need to go on."

"Yes, sir," Hyun smirked as he walked out of the room.

"Sir-" Jaebum began.

"Shut it Park," Chanseong growled. "I've waited years for this. Nothing's going to stop me. Not you and not the detectives. So just know your place Jaebum."

He walked past Jaebum hitting the Human's shoulder. Then he stopped just before leaving the room. "Oh, I know you won't, but don't bother telling the detectives about this," Chanseong said condescendingly. "After all, if they find out that you've betrayed their trust for all these years I don't think they'll believe a word you say."

With a frightening dark chuckle, Chanseong left the room, leaving Jaebum in his own thoughts and deeply regretting every decision he's made. He clenched his fist, how can he fix this?

2 weeks prior

Sungjae whopped as he finally got past the crazy firewall of the A&A Group. "Who's the best hacker? I am!"

He quickly began looking through the files. One of the folders caught his eye: Human Serum.

"What the hell?"

Immediately opening the heavily encrypted file, he saw that there were a lot of chemical notes and logs pertaining to the serum. He opened up the logs and began to read:

February 29, 2008
My team and I decided to create a serum that will allow Hybrids to live amongst us without fear of being attacked. The serum will work with the Hybrid DNA to temporarily make their ears and tails disappear so that they will be able to walk around public without being stared at or murdered because of how they were born. 
Kim Hajoon

December 1, 2008
Finally, we have our first serum ready to be tested.
Kim Hajoon

September 23, 2009
I am very frustrated. The first and second batch of serum were toxic to Hybrids and didn't bring forward the wanted results.
Kim Hajoon

March 10, 2010
We are finally seeing some progress. The serum works on temporarily removing the Hybrid's tail but the ears are proving to be more of a problem than we had foreseen. It might be because the ears are one of the most sensitive parts of the Hybrid that serves an important function of hearing. The few Hybrids we have successfully removed the tail of went deaf as a result. We will have to reformulate the serum.
Kim Hajoon

November 1, 2016
I have found my father's old notes. I will continue on the work that my father has laid out. After reading the problems that arose during my father's testing, I think it's best to start testing on Bunny Hybrids as their ears are the longest. If the serum can successfully remove the Bunny Hybrid's ear and place Human ears temporarily we will know it will be alright for other Hybrid breeds.
Kim Minjoon

July 21, 2018
There is very little progress. It seems like nothing we do is working. We have already lost a lot of the assets.
Kim Minjoon

January 9, 2020
There is some progress. The right ear of one of the asset's ears disappeared which returned after about an hour. The only problem is that there is no Human ear that replaced it, and he has gone deaf in his right ear. If we continue to tweak the serum, I think we will be able to create the perfect serum.
Kim Minjoon

"Holy shit," Sungjae whispered.

Underneath all the logs was a list of Hybrids that they tested the serum on. Sungjae felt like he was going to be sick. There were hundreds of pictures of many different types of Hybrids. It took many minutes to even reach the end. Notably, after 2016, the number of Bunny Hybrids that were tested on seemed to have tripled.

"Address," Sungjae urged. "I need the address of the facility."

When Sungjae found the address he quickly began to download all the files that he was able to find. The files were downloading way too slowly for the hacker and he decided to go up for a drink of water. What he discovered in the files was disturbing and he needed to cool off and call Eunwoo.

As he closed and locked the door to his computer room, he heard a loud banging at the door. Realization set in that A&A Group must've tracked the location where the files were opened. 

"Shit!" Sungjae quickly rushed up the stairs to warn his mates not to open the door. But as he reached the top of the stairs, he heard his cheerful mate speaking.

"Hi, who're you?" Changseob's voice rang out.

"Get 'em."

☆