Twenty-two

You smile like an idiot when you hear the last word of his sentence, but Law doesn't look back at and pulls you outside with himself.

It's amazing how my Devil Fruit helped grewing our bond. It would take a lot time to reach this state without it.

"It took just one night," you say with disbelief and he tenses up. "You're strong."

"I didn't say it," he growls with slightly red cheeks.

"You were playing with the words, Edgy."

"He said what?" arrives Shiro from an old oak door on the left.

"I said I hate bread," shouts Law quickly not to admit the truth, red as crimson. A candy falls from the navigator's hand, landing on the floor with a loud thud. "I don't!"

"Isn't he sweet when he's shy?" you grin at the brown-eyed pirate and he gets the picture in a second.

"Bless his little heart," he answers, making you laugh. The Surgeon of Death lets go of your hand with denial. "Is that his shirt, [Y/N]?"

You turn bright red just as Law by your side. Shiro chuckles and steps closer. He reaches for your faces and pinches both of your cheeks like a grandma.

"What an adorable couple," smiles the man, and only lets you go when his Captain hits his arm away.

"You really have to?" you whine.

"If you could see your faces," he laughs. "At least you should understand, [Y/N]."

"Thin ice, Shiro," you answer, but chuckle softly when you see the embarrassment spreading on Law's features.

After he hears you, he storms away on the corridor, shouting to find Bepo, like always when he's upset.

"In the last eleven years, I learned perfectly how far I can balance on that thin ice," says the pirate while watching as Law disappears in one of the rooms where he conjectures his bear to be.

"Eleven years?" you ask back with a scowl.

"You're talking to a founder of Heart Pirates," he smiles and bows elegantly. "We created the crew long ago, as children. Law, Penguin, Shachi, Bepo, and me."

Shiro's infinite, kind eyes observe your face for a second before he nods towards the dining room.

"Do you want to hear more about it?""

"At least we give him some time to get over the tantrum," you answer, and follow the pirate to sit down.

"We were orphans and Bepo was just a cub," he says, passing you a cup of tea. "It wasn't an easy life alone, but I don't remember very much. I was only six before I joined them."

Your jaw drops as you hear this.

"You're only seventeen?!"

"Not everyone's as old as you all," he laughs delightedly.

"Bless your lil heart," you lift your mug for a toast. He smiles at you again and you notice the small dimples on his cheeks.

"It wasn't easy to survive for a couple of kids and it only got worse because we had a mink child with us. People tend to hurt everyone different from them, and I've always hated humanity for that. Bepo never understood or accepted this and always tried to make new friends... running out of our hidden home when he could, never giving up hope. Sometimes we found him in time, sometimes we were late. Sometimes we got beaten up too when the opponents were too strong."

Your heart clenches at the thought, but you stay silent. Shiro keeps his eyes on the tea, his smile nowhere to be seen now.

"We were late the day when we met Law first. Older kids found Bepo and beat him, but when we reached him, he wasn't alone anymore," says Shiro. "A little boy sat beside him and tied up the wound. He wore a fluffy, spotted hat and a dirty grey cape. I'll never forget how his eyes burnt with anger, Bepo's bullies knocked out around him. He said that he'll never let us get hurt again. And he kept his word, as he keeps all of them ever since."