Chapter 16

They ride through the streets of London with the occasional direction from Mary Poppins, the woman sitting poised with a prideful smile at the sounds of the children's laughter, Jack tipping the bicycle to one side or the other every now and then to entertain them. (Y/N) laughs alongside them as they turn into a rather busy street where workers unload crates from their carts and whatnot.

She gasps as Jack is forced to turn sharply to avoid colliding with a man who appeared suddenly from the back of a truck, a large crate in his grasp.
"Sorry!" Both her and the lamplighter chorus, her siblings laughing particularly loudly at her startled expression.

They manage to calm themselves as the grow closer to their destination.
"Now, pull over—right ahead. Thank you, Jack." Mary instructs lightly, the leery following her directions to the dot. The male tilts his head curiously as they come to a stop in front of an entrance to a narrow alley, the entrance being lined by a doorframe without a door, "right. Off we go—jiggity-jog." Mary chides, easily sliding from her spot and taking her umbrella back from the youngest Banks, "thank you, Georgie." Georgie giggles at her as he hops down from the front of the bicycle.

"This way, please."

Arthur snickers quietly as (Y/N) stumbles from her place in the middle, a hand on her lower back to stabilize her. She huffs with a light blush on her cheeks, pretending that she didn't almost fall and gives him a curt, embarrassed nod before scurrying after the nanny and her siblings. Jack shakes his head playfully at their antics.

After parking the bicycle right by the entrance, the group swiftly make their way down the dark alleyway. As they walked further in, the walls were illuminated by the dim light making its way through the storage room windows at the back of each shop. The smoke from the chimney's made it seem eerie, the rather filthy floor only worsening their situation—however, (Y/N) just couldn't help but feel as if she'd been there before...

Jack spoke up, breaking the silence, "'Never noticed this alley before." He looks around, curious but also slightly skeptical of the area whilst Mary hands him the bowl.

"Well, clearly you've never had a Royal Doultan bowl that wanted mending." The leery slowly grins at her words, any previous unease fading as excitement bubbles inside of him. Mary hides her small smile of amusement, "straight ahead."

They reach the end of the alley, meeting a brick wall with a steel door the size of Georgie. Situated above it was a sign hanging down from its post. (Y/N) narrows her eyes at it, unable to place her finger on its familiarity.

"How peculiar..." She mutters under her breath. Mary strides forwards and knocks reverently on the steel door with the knob of her umbrella.

"Topo..." Annabel begins to read out the sign, "-trepolovsky's all repairs, large and small... fix-it shop!" She brightens once she finishes reading, turning to her older sister proudly. (Y/N) scrunches her nose at her with a smile, gently patting her head.

"Looks as though it's just a small fix-it shop today." Jack pipes up playfully, referring to the child-sized door.

Mary looks at him, "That's just what we want. Isn't it Arthur?" Her eyes glint at him and he returns a smirk, "(Y/N)?" She glances at the female briefly before turning back to the door. The said girl gives a hum at the sudden mention of her name, tilting her head slightly. Mary ignores her curious look and continues, "the bowl only needs a small fix, after all."

She knocks on the door once again with the knob of her umbrella. The Banks children (aside from the youngest) blink in disbelief as it speaks up, "Oh!" it groans, "so now my head is a door knocker. I suppose my beak might be useful for opening cans..."