Chapter 14

Darkness.

A pitch black abyss seemed to suck her in like a whirlpool, and despite all her attempts to swim out—it was useless.
An aching fear gripped at her heart and she found it hard to breath. Panic consuming her.
'Georgie!' She tried to scream, 'Annabel! John!'
She grew desperate.

The more she seemed to fall the more her vision began to blur.
She tried to look down at herself only to see her own hands fading before her.
Tears pooled in her eyes and she began to hopelessly twist and turn and throw herself around in an attempt to slow her fall.

".../N).."

'Georgie!' She tried again, 'Annabel! John!' Her voice began to fade, failing to reach her own ears.
So she tried to scream.
'Help!' She tossed and turned once more, her own voice seeming to grow further and further away.

"...(Y/..N)..!"

'Arthur! A-Anyone!' It hurt. Everything ached.
Her ears began to ring.

'Arthur..!'

"...(Y/N)!"
She awoke with a gasp.

Her chest heaved up and down in desperate breaths, the ringing in her ears slowly dying down. She jumped and let out a short scream as a hand grasps her shoulder.
"(Y/N)! Love..!" Arthur flinches before moving to comfort her once more, settling into her line of sight by her bedside, "it's me, Arthur! It's alright!" The tears in the girl's eyes cleared as she blinks them away, gaze focusing on the face the the blond male in front of her. She sits up.

"A-Arthur!"

"Yes, love," The Brit stands from his crouched position and sits on the bed, "it's me—you're alright," he gently grasps her shaking hands to comfort her, concern plastered on his features.

"W-Where's Georgie? A-And Annabel? And John!?"

"—Just breathe, (Y/N)," He takes in a deep breath, inviting her to follow. She does so, copying him as he takes in a few deeps, long breaths, soon finding herself calm, "there you go..." his voice is low and soft, as to not startle her, "your brothers and sister are in their room being tended to by Ms. Poppins. It seems everyone's a bit unsettled tonight."

"Oh, Arthur," (Y/N) starts, forcing back the tears that began to surface, "I had an awful dream! It started out wonderful with everyone but then they began to take our things, and then they took Georgie! I went after to go after him, but then John and Annabel got into the mess and then we had to jump from the carriage and—"

"Goodness, love," Arthur furrows his brows and raises a hand to cup her cheek, gently tracing his thump beneath her eye where a tear threatened to fall, "you're absolutely shaken. It was just a dream..."

"Yes, but-but it felt so real..." She chokes back a sob and lowers her head, letting out a long, ragged breath, "...everything has gotten so much harder without mother," She closes her eyes in reminiscent pain as she hugs herself, "and I miss her terribly..."
Watching her attentively, Arthur's eyes soften and his shoulder sag more comfortably.

"I believe she had a great impact on you, didn't she?" He hums as the girl nod slowly, sniffling quietly. He sighs softly, "you're under so much stress. Take it easy on yourself, love. You're not alone, not ever." He gently raises her head by her chin, giving a gentle smile to reassure her as he spots her slightly puffy eyes—his heart ached at the sight of them.