Chapter Three: Dinner Disaster

Start from the beginning

"Just sit down, Violet. You're going to make things look weird." He said.

"What things? This place is too noisy and cramped for me" I explained. "And my friends aren't here"

"These are your friends" he shot back.

Were they? They were friendly to me but maybe that was just because they were Hale's friends, "I...I meant my best friends."

The look on Hale's face when he realized I wasn't giving in was so mean it was enough for me to zip my mouth shut and sit next to him.

But I was saved.

Annie and Susan came giggling, pushing through the jocks and cheerleaders to get to me.

"Hi Hale, but sorry we're gonna have to steal your girlfriend!" Susan said, grinning and batting her eyelashes as she hooked her elbow through mine.

"You don't mind do you?" Annie asked, her big grin looking like a shark with braces getting ready to attack.

"Of course not," Hale replied, an easy smile transforming his face. I just wished he could smile like that all the time.

"Really? You're absolutely positive about us taking her away?" Annie asked, the killer's grin still on her face. "Today and every other day we're in school"

"Why won't I be?" Hale laughed, "I'm not clingy or anything. Just take good care of her, she's my delicate rose if you know what I mean."

"Oohhh!" his friends jeered and he shushed them up, laughing.

"I don't know actually." Annie deadpanned, dropping the grin.

"Annie." I elbowed her gently.

After that, they just took me away. I finally breathed freely when I was seated near the window.

"She's my delicate rose!!!" Annie mocked in Hale's British accent, making it seem like she was yapping the words out. Susan cackled.

"I owe you guys." I said with all my heart.

"Please, please, our services are for free" Susan said, making a 'calm down' gesture with both hands.

"They are?" Annie joked. "I'm gonna need my payment. And by payment, I mean dump his sorry butt!"

I giggled and shook my head.

"Tell me you've at least considered the option." Susan said, resting her folded arms on the table.

"Yeah." I lied, nodding. "Totally."

"Well that's progress." Annie said, pointing her fork at me.

"So you're free to sit with us whenever you want now." Susan said, gleefully squirming on her seat and I smiled half heartedly, my sixth sense telling me Hale was keeping an eye on me and that we were both thinking the same thing.