ONE LAST WARNING

That night, Sam tossed and turned in bed. The case they had come for was done and John was getting them ready to pack up and move on to the next one. One monster was dead, but the one right under their noses wasn't. The cat showed up in the window and Sam got up to go let him in, but the cat didn't enter the room. He stared Sam down with glaring eyes and turned back ears.

"You still mad?" Sam asked. The cat did not move. "I'm really sorry I threw you at her. It was all I could think of in the moment." The cat's eyes softened a little with empathy. Then it pressed its forehead against his hand, demanding a scratch behind the ears and accepting Sam's apology. Sam brought the cat inside and let it sleep on the bed with him. Before turning in again, he took the ghost eyes from his backpack and put them under his pillow.

"I think it's time to set them free. Don't you?" he said to the cat. The cat gave a simple nod in agreement. Then they went to sleep. When Sam finally fell asleep, he dreamed about the ghost children. They were happy and holding each others hands, but when they saw him their expressions changed to worry.

"It's a fine fine thing you did for us," one said.

"Well I'm glad it's finally over," Sam said.

"It is over and done with for us," the little girl with the braids confirmed.

"What about me?" Sam asked.

"You're in terrible danger!" the pioneer girl warned him.

"But how!? I locked the door!" Sam insisted.

"It's the key," the girl with the braids informed him. "There's only one and the Beldam will find it."

"Taint all bad," the boy assured him. "Thou art alive. Thou art still living."

Sam woke up from the dream back in his room at the Pink Palace. He sat up and checked on the ghost eyes, which were now gone. They were free. He had no idea that the Beldam's one hand that broke off in the door jam had made its way into the house and was searching out the key. He fished for the key still around his neck.

"I've got to hide this somewhere! Somewhere she can never find it!" Sam thought out loud. In a moment the Beldam's hand was attacking him and fighting for possession of the key. Meanwhile downstairs, the rest of her still pounded on the small door. The hand tugged at the string with the key and didn't care that it was strangling Sam.

Before he started to see stars, Dean kicked in the door and wrestled the needle hand off of him. The hand broke free from Dean and went for his face. In the midst of disorientation, he nearly fell out the open window. The hand crawled up his body and tried to finish the job. Sam tore a pillow case off the nearest pillow and captured the hand in it. It tried to tear free, but Dean took the butt of his gun and smashed the hand to pieces. They caught their breath for a moment before Sam ripped into his brother.

"I told you and dad that something else was going on!" Sam scolded him.

"Calm down! I was keeping an eye on you!" Dean argued.

"Really!? Where were you when I almost got killed by a demon spider witch!?" Sam demanded.

"Ok, except for that part which wasn't entirely my fault," Dean said. "I'm sorry."

"What are we gonna tell dad?" Sam asked.

"Don't tell him anything," Dean answered.

"What? Why?"

"Because he didn't believe you in the first place and now it's taken care of. There's no need."

"I have to get rid of that key. She's going to find it again and more kids are gonna die," Sam explained. Dean looked down at the key and picked it up off the floor.

"Okay, how do we destroy it?" Dean asked.

"I don't know," Sam replied.

"Salt and burn?"

"I don't think that's going to work for this," Sam said.

"Okay, then we take it with us until we can figure out what gets rid of this thing. If it's far away from here, then the monster can't get it right?" Dean rationalized.

"Right," Sam agreed.