THE MONSTER INSIDE

When Sam came to the locked living room doors again, he took the cane and slid it into the handles and pulled. He pulled until the handles were loose and the lock was broken. He was finally able to open the doors.

It was dark inside the living room. Pitch black, but as the light from the hallway pooled into the room, he could see the little door across the way. It was open. He didn't even look over his shoulder, he just went for it. But as he approached an armoire moved by itself and stopped in front of the open door. Sam's escape was blocked. Then slowly the living room began to light up.

It looked very different. The furniture was all in the shape of different bugs and insects, including the wallpaper pattern. Red curtains over the windows and a fire erupted in the fireplace.

"They say even the proudest spirit can be broken . . . with love," the Other Mother said as she came into view. One of the chairs knocked Sam off his feet and carried him over to the coffee table across from the Other Mother who was sitting on the couch. "Of course, chocolate never hurts."

She took out a box and removed the lid. Instead of chocolates, there were live bugs inside. Sam cringed at the sight of it.

"Like one?" the Other Mother offered. "They're cocoa beetles from Zanzibar!" She picked one of the beetles from the box and ate it. Sam watched in disgust. He snapped out of it and stood his ground.

"I want to be with my real dad and brother. I want you to let me go!" he demanded. The Other Mother paused. He could see the anger boiling up in her. She turned to him and placed her hands on her hips.

"Is that any way to talk to your Mother?" she dared him.

"You aren't my Mother," Sam pointed out.

"Apologize at once, Sam," her voice shaking with fury. Sam stood up from the chair and leaned across the table. The Other Mother wasn't aware that Sam had been dealing with monsters like her since he was a baby and fear mongering wasn't going to work on him.

"No," he sneered as bratty as the Other Mother had ever seen. She wasn't quite sure what to do next.

"I'll give you to the count of three," she said. Sam leaned back into the chair unimpressed.

"One."

The Other Mother stood up from the couch.

"Two."

It appeared her hair was growing a little longer and her face narrower and sharper.

"THREEEEEE!!!!!"

It took Sam a moment to realize that the Other Mother had gotten taller. Her whole shape had changed. Her arms and legs became more spindly and her shoulders more boney. Even the back of her head became pointed. She reached across the table and grabbed his nose. Sam screamed in shock and then pain because she gripped so hard. She dragged him across the living room by his nose.

"What are you doing!? Let me go!" Sam screamed. She kept dragging him through the doors and out into the hallway. Sam tried to drop to the ground to make her let go, but the creature was strong. She dragged him down the hallway.

"Ow! That hurts!" he screamed. She finally let go of his nose and grabbed his shoulders. Before Sam could say another word, the Other Mother lifted him up and threw him into the mirror at the end of the hall. He braced himself for the impact, but there was none until he hit the floor on the other side. The mirror was a portal to another room. A room he hadn't seen before. She leaned into the mirror and hovered over him.

"You may come out when you've learned to be a loving son," she told him. Then she disappeared back out into the hallway.