He was sick of those comments and microaggressions that questioned who he was. Those people were lucky to be born in a body they liked. Naruto was the unlucky one.

Every day, he gets up in the morning and stares at his reflection with a look of disgust. His body doesn't match him in the slightest. A-cup boobs, feminine features, and the most dreadful part of them all, his crotch. All these terrible features are what people used to define Naruto. He hated them for that. He hated his body.

That's why, today, he decided to make a change. To some, it may not seem that drastic; while others may say it was the rashest decision he's ever made. Naruto, on impulse, decided to hack off all of his hair, leaving him with a spiky blond afro.

It was uneven, yes. But it was short. People would have a higher chance of gendering him correctly if he looked more like a cis-gender boy. Naruto was nervous about this change, but he ultimately liked it in the end. It was so worth it in his eyes.

Naruto continued to inspect himself in the mirror, becoming more and more accustomed to this new reflection. It was a Sunday evening, and he would have to go to school tomorrow with this haircut. For some reason, his anxiety was slowly washing itself away. He knew he'd face more ridicule than usual but that just unpowered him more. It meant that they acknowledged his change. It was a step in the right direction.

The bathroom door trembled suddenly with the slam of the front door. Naruto's heart dropped at the familiar noise. His dad was home from work.

"Naruko! I'm home!" He shouted from the other room, his footsteps echoing throughout their small apartment.

"Shit!" Naruto cursed. He snatched the razor off the sink and the plug yanked along with it. Quickly, he opened the overhead cabinets and sloppy placed the shaver inside. His pulse was racing again as he began to clean up the mess of hair he made on the floor. He swept up the stray strands with his hands and bunched them up in a fist, depositing them all in the bathroom trash can.

A light knock tapped on the bathroom door and Naruto froze in place, his hands suspended over the trash can.

"Naruko? Are you in there?" His father questioned from the other side of the door.

Naruto debated whether he would reply for a split second. "...Uh. Yes."

"Are you going to come out yet? I want to tell you about my time at work today. I think you'd get a kick out of it."

Naruto resumed his frenzied cleaning and let out an annoyed breath. "N-Not right now, Dad."

"Is this a bad time? Did you get your period?"

The mere mention of that word made Naruto's stomach turn. Periods. Yet another thing he hates about himself. There was nothing that made his skin crawl more than seeing his underwear during that time of the month. Men didn't have periods. They couldn't. It was just another reminder of what stupid body he's been cursed with.

"No." Naruto contorts his face. "I'm just doing something right now. Sorry."

His father noticed Naruto's tone and furrowed his brunette eyebrows. "Are you alright? Do you want to talk?"

"No," Naruto answered, almost immediately.

Leaning against the door, Naruto's father pressed his face against the wood. He whined, "C'mon. You never talk to me anymore. What gives? Did I do something wrong?"

He was right, of course, and Naruto knew it. They used to be so close and he would tell his father everything. They were best friends. It was because they only had each other from day one. When Naruto was only two years old his biological parents died in a car accident. Naruto was put in an orphanage and stayed there for two years. Then, at the tender age of four, a young man named Iruka Umino adopted him.