➳ Chapter Three - Surprise ✑

Start from the beginning

The car stops and I realize that we're at the restaurant. I look over to Ms. Anderson and I see she looks a bit shocked.

"What?" I asked chuckling.

"I was worried you were going to take me to some fancy place," she replied.

"This is one of my favorite places to go for breakfast," I said.

"Why don't you just make your own?" she asked as we entered.

"Because I can't cook to save my life," I reply slightly embarrassed.

"Seriously?" she asked with a smile. I could tell she was probably holding back a giggle or two.

"I'm glad I amuse you, but yes, I was a college student who became the CEO to a huge company, I never really got the time to learn," I replied.

I could see the change in her face. I wish I knew what she was thinking.

"Good morning, are you ready to order?" the waitress asked.

"Sure, I'll have the blueberry pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes and the orange juice," I replied.

"And what would you be having?" The waitress asked turning to Ms. Anderson.

"What do you recommend?" she asked me.

"She'll have the lumberjack and a cup of coffee," I told the waitress and she walked back towards the kitchen.

"Lumberjack?" she asked.

"It's two pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and toast." I replied.

"You can't expect me to eat all that!" she exclaimed.

"No, I was hoping that you'd try a bit of everything and then decide whether or not you like it," I said.

"Oh," she replied.

After that she remained quiet, which was unfortunate because I kind of like it when she started the conversation. I saw the waitress coming back a few minutes later and my eyes light up. I swear I can be so childish sometimes but who doesn't love pancakes?

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

Nicole's POV:

I have to admit the food was amazing. Those were some of the best pancakes I've ever had. But I was surprised with the restaurant he chose. I know I'm stereotyping, I just thought rich people only liked fancy, expensive places.

"So what's the verdict?" Xavier asked,

"Delicious!" I replied with a smile.

After he paid for the food, we walked back outside and got into the car. I thought we were going back to his place but when we go out I noticed that we were at a mall.

"The mall? What are we doing here? Do you have shopping to do or something?" I asked.

"No, but you sure do," he replied.

"I don't even have any money on me," I said.

"I'm well aware," he said.

Then I realized what he was implying.

"No! Xavier I can't let you do that, you're technically my boss, this is just too much," I started stating the obvious.

"I could have my mother's stylist keep sending you clothes, I just figured you'd want to pick out your own clothes." he said. "Besides you're my new assistant can't have you coming to work without proper clothes," he quickly added.

I guess now I know why he's the CEO, he's a hell of a negotiator.

"I guess but-" I started saying before he cut me off.

"Great! Let's go," he said.

The first store he took me to was one I'd never been in before. I can take a wild guess as to why. Everything there looked like it cost a fortune.

Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this. But who knows how much the stylist stuff cost.

I was so lost in thought I didn't even notice that he was talking to a salesclerk. By the look of it she was heading back to go find what he asked for.

"What happened to letting me choose my own clothes?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I'll let you get the next one," he replied.

I saw the salesclerk coming back with a bunch of work clothes.

"These should fit perfectly," she said her eyes not leaving Mr. Heartford for a second.

"Charge it to my account," he said as though it was nothing.

She carefully packed all the clothes into a few bags and gave it to him.

"Right where do you want to go next?" he asked.

We went to a couple more stores after that. I only bought the essentials, like jeans, tops, pajamas and stuff I could wear at home. I remembered that the bag he gave me this morning had a few dresses, so I just got about three in case I had some dinner or date which is less likely. A girl can be optimistic right?

Then I remembered my poor striped cashmere sweater. It was the softest thing ever and now it was gone. I headed to the section with all the sweaters and I passed my hands over them as I walked. Mr. Heartford looked at me as if I was going mad. I was simply trying to find a sweater that didn't feel scratchy.

"What are you doing?" he asked with his eyebrows scrunched up.

"Uh nothing," I replied leaving the sweaters.

When we approached the Victoria Secret store my face was probably the shade of a tomato.

"I think I can handle this one by myself," I said trying to avoid all eye contact with him.

"If you insist," he replied with a smirk and gave me his credit card.

I walked out of the store when I was finished cashing. That's when I saw him. I don't think I could have gotten out of there any faster.

What was he even doing here?! Had he seen me? Maybe it wasn't him. As if I don't already have enough to worry about.

"Ms. Anderson is everything alright?" Jessie asked skeptically.

"Um yea," I replied.

I got in the car, still in shock. Then I remembered that Mr. Heartford was still in the mall. He would probably be looking for me.

"Hey Jessie," I called. He rolled down the separator thing. Whatever that was called.

"Yes Ms. Anderson?" he asked.

"You can call me Nicole you know, can you call Mr. Heartford and let him know I'm out here?" I asked.

"Of course," he replied.

A few minutes later the car door opened again, revealing a worried Mr. Heartford.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"What? Oh yeah I'm fine," I replied.

"Are you sure? You're shaking," he said holding my hand and I nodded.

And just like that all my nerves were calm.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

Ooooh who did she see? And what was that all about in the car mmm? But seriously can someone take me on a shopping spree XD Keep reading if you want to find out more ;p

1639 words

Picture of Nicole at the top