Chapter 26- Hardly Studying.

Start from the beginning

When Brynn heard the echo of the library door shut, she relaxed and her breathing evened out. She didn't know what that was but she didn't like it. It was like she had nothing to worry about so her mind chose to give her something so she wasn't bored.

She looked towards the fluffy pancakes, nibbling her bottom lip softly. She hasn't eaten alone in a while. Just the thought of eating made her feel nauseous which never happened whilst she was with Milo. When she was with Milo she ate whatever she could find in her room with no eyes on her. Solace.

Now she felt like people were constantly watching her as she ate. Not wanting eyes on her long, she ate as fast as she could and not wanting to look foolish, she ate as carefully as she could. This was the cycle she went through with every meal.

And now here she was, alone, with food right in front of her ready for her to eat and no one watching her.

Tentatively she reached her right hand out to slide underneath the warmed-up plate, curling her thumb around the top of it skillfully avoiding the chocolaty spread.

She lifted it up and used her left hand to move her French book out the way on the floor, replacing it with the plate. She looked down at the food resting on the pillow.

Picking up the fork that rested on the side with her right hand, she turned it to its side to use it as a knife. She pressed down into the chocolate-pancake fluffiness, cutting into it, then doing the same a few centimetres over. Once she'd successfully cut a piece off, she jabbed the fork into it and lifted it up, staring at it complexly.

The twelve year old swept the area once again and once again came to the conclusion that no one was there. She took a bite.

It was a slow one and a small one at that, but it was a starting point.

By the end of eating, she ate an entire pancake and a half, the raspberries were demolished and the nutella was smothered over her lips more than it was in her belly. She'd come to the conclusion she liked the chocolate spread.

It was more admiring than eating. She got to see her meal properly, looking and choosing what she'd liked to eat first. There was no pressure and no one watching. And she didn't feel like she had to vomit.

The plate was put back down on the folded blanket and the glass of still-warm milk was in her hand. She hadn't had warm milk in years.

And combined with the sweet chocolate spread, it was heavenly.

She looked at the plate and empty glass.

It was nice to feel proud of yourself.

---

On her way downstairs, she made a detour to her room to get changed. Deciding on a magenta, wool jumper tucked into black baggy jeans with white trainers, she picked up her phone from the bed and checked the time. 9:46 am.

Brynn stuffed the device away in her right back pocket and picked up her dishes only to put them down again, remembering she had to brush her teeth.

The next time she picked the dishes up, she kept them in her hold until she made it to the kitchen. The youngest Verlice paused seeing Silas there but nonetheless breathed and continued her trek.

Silas was searching the large fridge, leaning into the left side door with his hand on the top of the right side door; he had his back to her. He was dressed in baggy grey sweatpants, black army boots and a plain white t-shirt.

As silently as she could, she went over to the sink and washed her dishes, placing them on the drying rack. She dried her hands with the white dishcloth sat on the side of the sink and went to sit on the island. Sitting on her phone for a while sounded good, especially after her already-semi-kinda productive morning.