Trust

“So she’s working for Klaus to keep Stefan safe?” Lexi asked.

“That’s what she said. She also said that she doesn’t want to kill Klaus and take his power, but I don’t believe her. I can almost feel that she’s lying,” I told them.

“Then you are probably right,” Lexi said.

“We’ll have to keep an eye on her,” Damon told us. “In the meantime, keep training and focusing on your powers.” The next week went by without incident until there was a large envelope left at the front door. Louis wouldn’t let me open it, so I went to get Damon. He too the package to the back patio and sat it away from the house.

“Is it necessary to do that?” Louis asked.

“You never know with Klaus,” Lexi said. Damon carefully opened the envelope and looked at it.

“Well, what is it?” I asked.

“It’s two plane tickets and passports for you and Louis,” Damon said.

“Why does he want me to leave so bad?”

“Honestly, I have no idea,” he told me. Lexi looked at the tickets and glanced at me.

“Well, the tickets are for three weeks from now, so you have some time to find out,” she suggested. I nodded my head and took the package from Damon.

“How do I get in touch with him?” I asked.

“No, you can’t,” Louis said as he grabbed my hand.

“I need to see what he wants, why he wants us to leave,” I told him.

“I can arrange something through one of his siblings. I don’t contact him directly, but they will get him the message,” Lexi offered.

“Please,” I told her.

“When and where?” she asked.

“How about three days, 8pm at the bar in town?” She nodded and she was off to deliver the message. I sat on a lounge chair by the pool and looked at the plane tickets. I realized they were for Italy. I had always wanted to go there. He couldn’t have known that, right? Lexi returned later that night and told me what they had said.

“Kol said that he wanted to meet tomorrow night. Same time and place, 8pm at the bar,” she said.

“Alright, it’s settled then.”

“And he said to make sure it’s just you. He doesn’t want any distractions,” she said looking at Louis. He shook his head no.

“You’re not going alone.”

“I have to, Louis,” I said as I cupped his face in my hands and looked at him. “I have to find out what he knows and this is the only way I can do that.” He looked down and back up at me.

“Promise me you will be safe. I don’t want anything to happen to you,” he said looking at me with a worried look. I leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips and looked at him.

“I promise I will stay safe. If anything happens, you will feel it and you and Damon and Lexi can come if that happens,” I told him. I walked in to the bar the next night prepared for anything that Klaus might throw at me. I saw him sitting at the bar. I walked up and stood beside him.

“Hello, love,” he smiled at me.

“Klaus,” I said.

“How about we find a quiet booth so we can have some privacy,” he suggested. I nodded my head yes and followed him to a booth near the back. We sat across from each other and stared. “So, do you want to tell me why you wanted to meet after almost killing me?”

“I almost killed you?”

“Yes, in the graveyard when you held me off the ground in that light, remember?” he asked.

“I didn’t know that’s what I was doing. I didn’t even know it would work,” I confessed making him laugh.

“Of course not, you don’t yet know everything about what you are, do you?” I shook my head no.

“I wanted to meet because I want to know why you want me to leave so bad. Why did you send plane tickets and passports for me and Louis?”

“Well, love, it’s simple really. I don’t want to kill you. I want to keep you safe,” he said looking at me as my mouth hung open.

“What made you change your mind?”

“I found out what you can really do,” he said smiling.

“And that is what?”

“I can’t tell you all that, now can I? If I did, then I wouldn’t have any leverage,” he said with a smirk.

“Can you tell me anything?”

“I can tell you that there is a way you can make Louis stronger,” he said.

“Really?”

“Have him drink your blood.”

“He’s already had it. When I was turned we had each other’s blood,” I told him.

“That’s different. That was to create the bond. This should be now, after you were turned. He needs your vampire-Fae blood. This will make your powers transfer to him quicker and he will grow stronger faster,” he explained.

“He won’t get hurt or anything?”

“Not at all,” he said. 

“So, you’re telling me the truth when you say you are trying to protect me?”

“Of course I am, love,” he smiled at me. “Besides, with where you are in your powers, you would be able to tell if I was lying.”

“Why does Elena want to kill you?” I blurted.

“She wants my power and authority,” he stated. “How did you know?” I told him about her paying me a little visit and me confronting her when I found her necklace.

“I could feel it when she lied to me,” I confessed. He nodded.

“She will probably still be a problem for you. She is one of the reasons I want to keep you safe.”

“Why are you sending Louis, too?”

“If he dies, you become much weaker, so it is necessary to keep him alive and with you,” he smiled. “Which I am sure you have no problem with,” he chuckled.

“Of course not,” I blushed and looked at the ground as I bit my lip.

“You really love him?”

“I do,” I smiled. “I have since third grade.”

“Cute, but a little sickening if you ask me,” he rolled his eyes.

“Well, I didn’t.”

“Anyway, let me see your cell phone,” he said. I handed him my phone with a confused look on my face. A second later he handed it back to me. “You have my number now. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask. I need to be able to make sure you are protected. When you get to Italy, there will be two rather large men waiting for you. Go with them if they give you the correct code word. I will tell you what that is before you leave. Understood?”

“Yes”

“Do you trust me?” he asked.

“It’s weird, but I do. I can feel that you are telling the truth,” I told him.

“Go now, love. Make your preparations. Three weeks may seem like plenty of time, but it will be here before you know it,” he said as he stood up and led me out of the bar.

“Thank you,” I said before he left. He nodded and I watched him as he walked off down the street. How was I going to explain this to them?