Those Watching Eyes

I mentally sighed as I looked at the pair of knights before me. They both wore serious expressions, their injuries making my gut spike with guilt for running away from them. For looking for an escape. Even though I knew it would lead to all of this. To me being watched even more intently because they knew I could disappear at any given moment. That'd I'd willingly run away from them.

I had time to brace for it, and yet I still feel terrible.

"What the hell were you thinking earlier?! You could've been seriously injured or worse!" Jericho was the first to speak, her tone similar to a scolding parent. Anger was evident on her features as she rested on her crutches, her brown eyes focused on me in a fiery gaze.

I flinched, tears brimming from how harsh she was.

I could tell that she had been worried for my well being, partially blaming herself for giving me the opportunity to sneak away. Not just that, but what I did today made the other Holy Knights question the pair. They saw Jericho and Guila as a pair of lucky students who somehow managed to get accepted into the Holy Knight scheme. 

They had no respect among their peers and now that I had been escaping them at every given chance, it made them look worse. Maybe even questionable. If Veronica had found out, they may had even been excluded or worse.

I sucked in a shaky breath as I bit my lip and wiped away my tears. I hadn't meant for it to go this far, but I cannot cry over it. I made this mess so I should deal with the consequences.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Guila beat me to it.

"I know it seems like we're imprisoning you Elizabeth," Guila glanced at me, her expression softer than Jericho's, "But we only have your best interest at heart. We just want to make sure you're safe and well."

Guila's words were more comforting and understanding than Jericho's. Like she knew what it was like to have someone she needs to protect. A person she'd do anything for to make sure they were ok, but knew that her guard could sometimes be overbearing for. 

In fact Guila appeared to give me a small smile while Jericho continued to mope, mumbling things to herself.

Guila definitely had a more calming and caring approach than Jericho's angry and aggressive one. It was Guila's words that stopped the guilt building inside and made the tears stop forming. 

So instead of crying, I gave them both a shaky smile.

"I don't know why you have to be so soft on her," Jericho looked at Guila, frowning.

"She deserves to be forgiven," Guila frowned, before gesturing at me, "The princess was about to burst into tears."

"So?" Jericho growled. Her brows pinched. "There's better reasons than that."

"No, she has suffered enough," Guila's frown seemed to widen. She gains an icy edge in her tone of voice. "Elizabeth is clearly guilty and so we should forgive her."

"You know what, I'm gonna take a break!" Jericho huffed as she turned away from us.

Without another word the knight hobbled off, words of anger following her in a messy trail as her crutches banged against the floor. I winced at the sound. 

This was definitely my fault. The knights wouldn't have fought if I didn't run off today. Maybe I wouldn't be in this mess if I'd listened to them and the Deity Society in the first place.

"She'll take a little longer to convince," Guila sighed as she placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, "She's just upset because she had to wait at the mall all day while we searched. Jericho hates being inactive."