Chapter 12. Exothermic Reactions

              After watching the sunset, I grabbed my study notebooks from the living room and ran upstairs to my room, almost crashing into my brother on the way.  I jumped backwards with an "Oops."  How the heck does Patrick always seem to be in the hallway when I'm running through it like a crazed chicken?!  It must be a 7th sense, like twin telepathy or something. 

        "Mom wants you to do the laundry." He said, barely glancing up from his Nintendo DS.

        "Oh, okay." I replied, stepping around him to head to my room to put my books up.

        "And she wants you to call Richard back!"

        GGHHT.

        I stopped in shock and cringed at his name.  I turned to Patrick with a frown.  "Why would mum want me to do that of all things?"

        "Well... even though he cheated on you, you still owe him a whipping or two.  You should tell him to come to the house.  I think I have a bomb or two stashed in my closet."

        "Pat!" I exclaimed with a stuttering laugh, quite amused.  "Psh. You're the one who wants me to call him, not mum."

        "Your tongue is very sharp indeed."

        I narrowed my eyes at him, startled that he rephrased something Seamus said.  I ran over to my brother and jumped on his back.  "You been eavesdropping on the tutoring session?!"

        He grunted as he held me onto him and actually started spinning in circles in the hallway.  "Mr. Daugherty is hot for Andrea-"

        I squealed to stop him from saying anymore.  I can't believe Patrick would totally eavesdrop on me and Seamus.  It was totally barbaric and embarrassing!  "I'm gonna send you to Alaska while I study, you peeping St. Patrick!"

        I held on tight as he started spinning faster sending me squealing.  He started laughing as I screamed for him to stop spinning, my books in one hand becoming a disaster as I struggled to hold on.  "Stoppppp."

        He stopped.  With a jerk.  That shook the breath out of me for a few seconds then I jumped off.  My head was spinning a bit as I tried to focus on him.  "You.  Stop.  Spying.  Grrr."

        Patrick stopped laughing, but was still smiling.  His usual dull, dark self was actually playful for once.  Something put him in a good mood.  Like what?

        "What's got you all flowery?" I asked.

        "Liz called me." He said simply.  "Ain't that strange?  After three years she called me.  Did you do something?"

        My eyes widened.  "Oh... well I talked to her the other day."

        "You did?" My brother was more shocked than I was.  "You never liked her..."

        "I don't see why..." I mumbled.  "She's nice."

        Patrick shook his head in disbelief.  "All you ever did was complain back then. Complain about her hair, her fingernails, her tendency to lock the door inside even while you were still outside.  Her OCD was a constant worry for you."

        "Really?" I scrunched my brows, trying to remember Lisa from years ago, when I was still a little ignorant teenager.  "I... I'm sorry.  I didn't realize I was the reason you never dated her."