7

TRIGGER WARNING: disassociation, manipulation (if you can spot it), references to abuse

It could've only been a few more days until Brian's parents, whoever they were and why they were so bad exactly, were knocking.
It had been when the entire gang was over, in Brock's room. It was supposed to be a night of nothing but pure fun, yet it was all interrupted. Brian could even hear it from outside. It was like his senses were sharpened for this.
When he looked up from his UNO cards, the colour drained from his face, it was John who tentatively asked, "Uh.. Brian?"
"Brock." The word left his lips clear of any prior sarcasm or mock. "Brock!"
"Yeah?" Brock put his cards down, some of the laughter starting to melt away.
"Someone's at the door!"
"What? How do you-"
"Brock, I-" Brian looked around wildly. "Do you have a- Do you- a window I can get out? Or can I- get out of a window? I mean-"
"Wait, Brian, what's wrong?"
"I can hear his voice, dude!" Brian hissed. "My dad! He's here for me!"
"Wait- why are you scared of your own.. dad...?" Evan piped up. His wings were slack against the ground in confusion.
"Hey, calm down." David tried to stand up, but Brock stopped him, seeing how he flinched, being sat down on the floor.
"Everyone, just chill. Brian, we can just go out, and talk to him, yeah?" Brock said slowly.
Seeing how he frowned, he said, "Okay, I-"
There was a knock on the door.
Brian gasped. It was a
"Brock? It's Brian's dad. Come out." Even his mom sounded serious.
Brian, on the other hand, had stood up, staring straight at the door like he was looking at his doom. Brock suddenly saw his hands. They were clasped together so tight his entire hand was white and the parts that were being squeezed were red.
Brock got up, moving in front of Brian as the door opened. His wings opened up and shielded him from behind.
In came in was a man. He had brownish hair like Brian, and a bit of hair dusting his chin and up to his jawline. He had on a jacket.
"Brian!" He moved forward. Brock's wings lowered down so they could see each other. "It's been so long! Why haven't you visited me?"
"Y-You know why, Dad." Brian, on the other hand, clung to Brock and his wings, moving behind. His eyes looked like nightmares were in them. Seeing this, Evan got up and onto his knees, like he wanted to do something but found it inappropriate, in front of him.
"Hey, c'mon. I'm your dad. Brian, we used to have so much fun times together."
Brock wasn't liking this at all.
"C'mon. Let's go home together, son."
"No. I- Umm... Uhh.."
"Hey, uh- Hi!" Evan sprung up. "Hello, Mr..?"
"Ah, uh- Mr. Millers. You're one of Brian's friends, aren't you?" His eyes flashed back to Brian, as if he didn't want to stray away from him.
"Yes, um.. As his friends, why don't we.. convince him to follow you?" He suggested lightly. "We're.. closer to him, yeah?"
"Oh.." Nobody but Brian could see the way his eyes darkened in a split second. He was staring intently at his face. "... Well, alright! 5 minutes is all I can spare of my time, then."
And then he stood there.
"Um.. Mr. Millers, I think it would be better.. if we had some alone time?" David suggested.
"Oh, yes, of course."
And with that, the teenagers were alone once more.
John stood up, grabbing Brock. "Dude, I dunno what's going on but it is MAJOR SUS-"
"Brian?" Evan said, perplexed. "Brian??"
He had these wide eyes that made him look like a child as compared to war, staring off into nothing.
"Hey- hey! Brian?" Brock shook his shoulder. And he seemed to blink one or twice, like he had been in a trance.
"Oh- Yeah? Right, right.." He rubbed his eyes. "Um.."
"Brian, we.. we all don't know what's going on here, but we need to get you the hell out of here." Brock grabbed his shoulders. "I have a window we can get out of, but I can't lock it from the outside. We'll have to get out as soon as possible."
"Uh- Yeah! Right, Uh-"
"Brian, you.. you good??" John asked. His tail was all bushy and his ears were pressed flat against his head. "You're, looking a bit.."
"Huh? No, I'm okay."
As they all climbed out the window, Brock closed it without locking it. Evan grabbed Brian's hand, lugging him off.
"Let's go, let's go! No time to space out!"
"Huh? Oh- alright!"
"Where are we going?" Brock called, running to the front of the house, and the road. It was nighttime, and while it was cool out, they were all sweating from the nerves.
"Away! Far away!" Evan called back.
"No, wait!" John shouted. "That's a horrible plan!"
"Guys, we could have an impromptu sleepover at one of our houses!" David suggested as they were running. "Like mine!"
"Are you sure my dad can't follow us then?" Brian said.
"Yes, my parents have no connections to any of you guys' parents."
"Okay, where is it, then?"
"We have to take the train. Did everyone bring their wallet and uh- student pass?"
"Yeah."
"Yep."
Their little runaway led them through the nighttime streets of Honey Dew, past shops that were still open, night clubs and underground in a train station.
As they were all waiting, Brock tentatively nudged Brian.
"Uh- Yeah- Yeah? What?"
"Brian, you.. what exactly.. happened at home? With.. your dad?"
"Oh. Well. I'd rather not say."
"Well.. if you.. need anyone, though, I'm always here to talk to."
"... Thanks, Brock."
They didn't talk the entire train ride through.

notes:
- right after Mr. Millers leaves the room, Brian may seem a bit spacey out. for those who don't really know, he's actually disassociating, a common response to trauma. it's basically his body recognising that his mind has been exposed to events that will make him feel sad or angry, aka his dad, and so tries to put him in a sense of apathy, forgetfulness or numbness to evade that.
- this is the reason why Brian couldn't go back to his house for Quinn
- brock has a dad but he's at work rn
- I have no idea if I've mentioned previously that honey dew is just the place they live in (whether it be country or city I really dunno)

i feel like I'm projecting onto brian (I'm not being actively abused don't worry)
hopefully I might be able to wring Tyler into this
although I actually just have no plan whatsoever I'm just winging it
and coming up with shit on the go
but that's it from me
thank you my 10 readers