𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟑: 𝐢𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

Darla seemed to dismiss the driver's comments with a wave of a manicured hand. "Oh, nothing."

"Darla's doing illegal work behind her boss's back and expects everyone to join in on her," the driver's words felt targeted.

"I am doing nothing illegal," she gave a smile, "don't worry, Blake. You can trust me."

Although he was desperate and had no other choice at this point, the scoff from the driver gave a weird impression that things might not be running as smoothly as Blake had dreamed of.

The car soon came to a stop and the driver immediately got out and handed Blake his duffle bag. Darla came over to his side and stopped on the sidewalk in front of a tall building Blake had already become familiar with.

"Just follow my lead. You'll be alright," Darla's kind smile hadn't faded since the car ride.

"Is your boss going to get you fired if you show up with me in there?" The question popped out of his mouth before he was able to think about it.

"Of course not. The man can't live without me. Just wait and see, I didn't even tell him I was going out somewhere," she started towards the doors and Blake quickly had to catch up.

The large interior of the agency building was quite comforting. A sense of security was placed and Blake's heart could beat at a normal pace again. When you first walked into the building, it looked quite huge. The ceiling was open, and you could see three exposed floors as people were walking through the halls. A large elevator kept running in the middle.

Blake watched as people would get inside and look out of the glass wall and either rise up or go down. Though the building was usually quaint, the workers looked busy.

"Blake," Darla had called a couple of times now, "you coming?"

Darla was already down the stretch and had pressed the button to the elevator.

Once it arrived, Blake stepped in carefully and watched as it rose to one of the top floors.

A ding! went off, and the doors opened once again, Darla stepped out and motioned for Blake to follow her.

He followed her to an open floor where desks were laid out. Many people were buzzing and working, checking screens and printing papers. Phones were ringing in the distance and light chattered echoed through the halls. The environment overwhelmed the boy.

Darla quickly made it to her desk where she dropped her coat and purse. She sat down for a minute and clicked through her desktop screen for a few seconds. Blake stood there wondering what she could be checking. There were many questions he felt like asking but didn't know if they could provide the answers to.

"Do me a favour and put this mug into that coffee machine. Then press the top button so it can start."

Blake received the white mug and read the engraved letters "World's Greatest Boss." He did what Darla had asked him to and the machine started to pour the steamy liquid into the mug, but as the seconds ticked by, he was getting more anxious.

Suddenly the chatter picked up, as a shift in the air made Blake unsteady. His heart rate picked up when he found an eager man he had already met before coming his way.

"Darla!" His voice was raised and slightly irritated.

"Afternoon sir," Darla's tone was calm but her eyes didn't lift off of the screen.

"Where were you this morning?"

"I was out," Darla shifted from her desktop to a printer nearby as the machine made some noises and spit out a few documents.

Blake intently listened to their conversation, his eyes scanned over everything they were both doing.

"Darla, I expected you to be here this morning to go over things with our new tech crew."

Finally, Darla looked up at him. "Bourne, the new tech agents aren't supposed to be interviewed until Friday."

"Today is Friday."

"No, sir, today is Wednesday."

The man blinked several times, a hand slid over his creased forehead. Blake almost found the situation funny.

Darla slid the papers from the printer into a blue folder and handed it to the man. "For the interviews."

The man drew out a long breath as he reluctantly took the folder. "I don't want to do this."

"You really don't have any other choice at the moment."

Blake could see the man's jaw tighten. He didn't understand what they were talking about but it looked uncomfortable.

"Have you told Vanessa about this?" Darla asked.

The man looked up and shook his head silently.

Darla took the cup from the machine and handed it to him. Blake could see the man smile.

"Don't worry about it, sir. Vanessa knows this is for the best too. You can tell her when she comes back. In the meantime, do you know when Vanessa will be getting back?"

"Uh, no, I hadn't realized she left."

"Hm. No worries."

The man watched as Darla went back to her desk and sorted more papers.

"Why, what's it about this time?"

Darla looked up at him. "She has a meeting with someone."

"A meeting?"

Darla nodded and then looked at Blake. The man's head turned to see what she was looking at.

Oh... it's me.

The man's eyebrows furrowed and turned to Darla, lowering his voice.

"I thought the kid went home," he said.

"I thought you wanted to do this mission right," her eyes were darted and she looked pleased with how she responded.

Her boss, however, turned to Blake for a second, looked back at Darla with the same furrowed eyebrows and then turned to leave with the blue folder and a cup of coffee in hand.

"Is this what that driver meant about him getting fired because of you?"

Darla chuckled. "Just let grumpy Mr. Bourne drink his coffee, he'll be fine. Trust me."

A/N

A/N

idk what happened but my wattpad wasn't working for a week and I was literally unable to write.

anyways, hope this makes up for the time loss :D

cya soon <3