Chapter 3: Let go of the fake

Chapter 3

Let go of the fake

“Janice, you flirty girl! How did you land a guy like that?!” Emily Ortiz exclaimed at me when I was next to her.

I bit my bottom lip and remembered what Nate had told me as I prepared a cheese burger, luckily I had my back turned towards Emily so she couldn’t see my troubled expression.

“Well,…,” I thought fast. “He just started talking to me one day out of the blue and that was it.”

“What!”I jumped at the sudden reacting making me drop my precious built cheese burger.

“Gaby!” I hissed at her angrily as I began to wrap the cheese burger, sighing. “Do you want us to get fired? I’ll tell you later, but please don’t be so loud!”

“Oh, there won’t be a later,” she said mockingly. “Guess who’s waiting for you…” I spun around facing her confused. She had her back to me as she stared at someone from the pickup window across from her. I followed her gaze landing on Nate.

Right across from the in and out stand was Nate. He was wearing different clothes than before and was leaning causally –well trying to look causally– against the huge white pole looking impatiently around. He turned my direction, but I quickly ducked kneeing down on the ground.

I think he didn’t see me, I thought praying.

“Aw, that’s so romantic!” She squealed loudly. I squatted my way away from the small window.

“I guessed he remembered I was still alive,” I mumbled under my breath. I sighed as I handed the cheese burger to Emily. My part time was over and that was my last cheese burger to fill. I slipped through the back door as I hung my apron in my rusted locker grabbing my backpack. I parted ways from the in and out stand and went to see where Nate was. To my surprise he was nowhere to be seen. My darted everywhere for him, but I couldn’t spot him.

“BOO!!!!”

I screamed loudly jumping a little, making all the people in the food court gawk at me like I was crazy. Blood flushed through my face.

A roar of laughter followed after that.

“Ugh!” Still blushing like a ripped tomato I started walking away from him, but he wasn’t having that. He wrapped his arms around me waist pulling me closer to him, chuckling.

“S-s-soo-r-y,” he said through snickers. I wiggled so I could free myself from his grip. He had just humiliated me in front of people!

“Nah, nah you’re not going anywhere without me,” he stated seriously all humor gone. My heart skipped a beat. Not letting me go he gently lead me outside the mall. “Come I want to get to know my girlfriend.”

Blood rushed further into my face. Cold air splashed against my skin making me shiver. It was night. Something warm fell heavy on my shoulders. I looked down on Nate’s black jacket.

He clicked his mouth disapproving. “Don’t you ever carry a sweater?” He asked running his fingers back through his long jet-black hair giving me a concern look.

I gulped looking away guilty. “I just…I forgot okay? And anyway how the hell was I suppose to know it was going to be this cold?” I turned around to face him defending myself. He sighed shaking his head slightly.

“I was just saying,” he muttered. I turned around and looked in front of me. His car was parked in front of the mall. Some people were giving admiring glances at it. Nate suddenly grabbed my hand and yanked me away.