Weighing Grudges 006

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, 'I want to be a hero.'

Her mom looks at her, questioning, 'What triggered that?'

'It just seems nice,' she says, unblinkingly, 'I'd like to be a hero.' I'd like to get away from here.

'That's very pointless,' her tone is stabbing, but Ponytail looks unfazed.

'I'd like to be a hero,' she repeats robotically.

Pulling up the cup by its handle, her dainty pinky hanging underneath, 'Why's that?'

'It seems nice.' She says, this conversation isn't going anywhere.

'Alright, you want to be a hero, what type?'

'The type that saves people.'

'And?'

'And appears on front covers. I'd enjoy helping others.'

'Does that seem like your gift?'

A pause of silence, tense. Then mechanically, like an A.I that hadn't been programmed to say anything else, with a smile that holds just the slightest of slyness or agitation, 'I'd like to be a hero.'

A blink, a sip, 'Alright. Don't expect my support.'

'That's fine with me.' I can feel my heart in my throat.

A dainty, sweet smile that lacks soul. 'Okay.'

'Okay,' Ponytail chimes, 'would you like anything else with your tea?'

'No, you're excused.'

'Thank you.' And she leaves, closing the door gently, but her soft steps halt the moment her mom can't see or hear her. Then she's moving, fast, rushing. Hasting down the hall in the seemingly endless mansion, all full of white and gold trim. It looks like a meticulously designed hell somehow. She eventually stops at a corridor, similar to everything else with the exception of framed water colour painting of a rose beside a door.

She shudders out a breath, I wanted to become a hero to prove I was more than what she thought I was. I'm not their perfection nor their greatest gift, I don't think I ever can be.

The door slides open with a twist of the knob, she strides inside the perfectly made room. I only landed in more expectations by changing my choice of career.

But I'm up for it, anything to escape her. Escape this. Escape this family. My name Yaoyorozu will follow me, a framed family photo on a shiny desk beside a long mirror. A smiling man behind the glass in the photo, Mr. Yaoyorozu, and the mother that had been so detached, looking welcoming. Ponytail between the two, and their eyes are soulless. They stand in front of an industrial building made of reflective glass. And whereas Katsuki believes buildings don't have a conscience, obviously, the glass of the edifice catches more life than the eyes of a family of three. Eerie.

But that's fine. That's fine. I can't be the perfect daughter, but that's fine, I can still be a good person. I can still be gentle, amazing, I'll just live up to different expectations.

The bed is wide, and Ponytail doesn't even fill it. Her body dips on the soft, swallowing bed, pulling up the comforter to her hips and she closes her eyes, 'I'll be a good hero. I want to help people anyways.'

Being a hero was perfect. My mom came around it too easily, although she was still strict. It still had enough publicity to boost their company and get our name places, she would rather I become a model wife, or an actress—but it was never in my heart to do that. It was never in my heart to do anything they wanted me to do. Anything they didn't want me to have is cut out of my life, always controlled.