How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?

Start from the beginning

Being a werewolf wasn't always pretty. It wasn't glamorous. It is a life of knowing you are one of the most feared beings on the planet, and knowing that every shadow could contain someone who hates you enough to try and kill you in the most painful way possible. When push comes to shove in the werewolf community, you have every right to find the revenge you seek. No one has the right to tell you that you can't hurt the ones who hurt you or your pack.

Jungkook's head dropped to his chest and he nodded slowly. "I can't help but agree. I wish it wasn't this way, though."

Zephyr nodded and stood. "Me too. However, we must respect their wishes. Their lives will be honored in our pack and memorialized as we have done with others."

Jaci felt like normal conversations amidst the chaos just on the other side of the front door felt macabre and weird. But somehow it gave her peace for the time being. It allowed her mind to think about Zephyr's words about the memorializing, and her curiosity drove her to ask him about the wolves on the bedposts.

"The wolves on the bedposts, were they like those outside?"

Zephyr pulled his pistol from his hip holster and checked the available rounds before answering her question. "Yes, they were."

Jaci's eyes opened wide and she looked back at the door then to Zephyr. From the blank look on his face, she sensed he didn't want to elaborate any further on the topic. She made a mental note to ask later, though.

A crossbow bolt slammed into the front door and it's end pierced into the wood. Aydan clicked his tongue and finished hoisting his own crossbow off of a hook nearby. His hip pouch held a hefty supply of ammunition and he stood awaiting his orders.

Taehyung and Sunny had weapons of their own in their hands. Taehyung held two long swords, while Sunny had two pistols, one in each hand. Her hips were decked out with magazine clips and she looked fierce.

Jungkook looked at Taehyung, "You're seriously bringing knives to a gunfight?"

Taehyung smirked and revolved the weapons through the air, filling the great foyer with the whistling noises of cold steel. "Old training dies hard. I'm better with these."

Aydan walked up and gave Jaci a handgun, silently asking if she could handle such a weapon. With trembling hands she took it and looked it over. Living in Oklahoma, it wasn't that she wasn't familiar with guns, it's just that she had never used one to protect people she loved. Game hunting was one thing where missed shots really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Missed shots when protecting a loved one had literal grave consequences.

"Can you shoot?" asked Aydan softly.

Jaci nodded and closed her eyes in an attempt to steel her nerves.

"All bullets and other ammo is laced with poison that will kill Hunters in a matter of seconds. Even a nick will drop them like flies." Zephyr's voice grew more raspy as he spoke.

Jungkook frowned. "How come you never used this before?"

The Alpha shook his head heavily. "Never knew it existed."

"And you learned this from...?"

"Someone who should have shared it long ago," he growled. "Stay in human form unless you absolutely can't. As wolves we lose half our defense against these monsters. Opposable thumbs are quite handy for this."

The door began to splinter and Taehyung rushed back to his hide by the window. "The pack is nearly gone. Enough chit chat. It's our turn very soon."

"Let them come to us," muttered Zephyr, facing the door head on. "The bottleneck will help us."

Jungkook sent Jaci to the top of the staircase and Aydan followed, both taking up spots behind large stone pillars.