day 25: christmas!!

Start from the beginning

"Lololo."

"Yeah, that's my little Lolo," Janis chuckles. "Smart baby! Good job."

Cady grins at them and crawls in next to them.

"This is nice, I see why you like this," Janis says quietly, holding both little ones close to her. "Best wake up call."

Cady chuckles and cuddles closer, catching Leo as she rolls over onto her chest from Janis'. "Whoa! Where you going, little monkey?"

"Mamama," Leo says happily, looking at her upside down.

"Aww, you wanted to come see Mama? My sweet girl," Cady says. "God, you girls are getting so big. Last year you just barely kicked me for the first time."

Janis grins at the memory. "And now they won't stop kicking. Huh, Ladybug?" Layla gives a shriek of agreement. "Yeah."

"Little gymnasts," Cady chuckles. "Maybe Damian can teach them how to dance."

"He offered the other day, actually," Janis says. "When I went to get Layla from her nap she was in a full middle split, like, toes pointed and everything."

"Really?" Cady giggles. "Was she asleep?"

"Yeah, she was dead asleep," Janis says. "It was weird. But I sent him a picture and he said we need to put them in dance classes soon."

"I wouldn't mind it, honestly," Cady hums. "If they want to. I think they'd be the cutest little ballerinas. Like you were."

"Baby dance recitals are the best ones," Janis agrees. "But maybe we should wait until they can walk."

"Definitely," Cady agrees with a chuckle. "What do you think, Bee? Do you wanna wear a tutu and do pretty dances?"

"Dandandan," Leo says, gnawing on her toes.

"They've started mimicking us more, have you noticed that?" Cady says.

"Yeah, I have," Janis says. "Whenever I say Mama they at least try to say it back."

"I think they try to say Mommy, too," Cady says. "It's just a little more tricky."

"Eee," Layla hums.

"Yeah, like that? She's got the end sound, at least," Cady says. "Good job, Loopsy!"

"Adorable and smart, the whole package," Janis chuckles. Leo wiggles her way back to her, so Janis gives Layla to Cady instead and takes her back.

"Why are you chewing your hand so much, baby bug?" Cady asks when Layla smiles at her around a little fist. Cady tickles her neck, trying to coax a laugh. Layla hunches up her shoulders with a giggle. "Let me see your cute little mouth, you stinker. Come here."

Layla giggles again as Cady holds her aloft, but the little hand stays firmly inside her mouth. Janis sneakily reaches over and snatches it, gently pulling it away from the baby's face. "She's drooling a lot."

Cady kisses Layla's little nose, trying another strategy that usually makes her laugh. Sure enough, Layla gives a happy giggle and keeps her wide smile as Cady pulls back.

"Aha! Exactly as I thought!" Cady says. "Your first teeth are coming in, baby love! No wonder you've been so fussy, your mouth is probably sore. Poor thing."

"I wanna see," Janis pouts, wiggling closer and tickling Layla to make her smile. Layla shrieks a bit and tips to the side. Cady catches her and laughs along with the baby. "Oh, wow. Poor baby, that does look sore. We'll have to bust out the teething toys."

"Yeah, that'll probably help a bunch," Cady agrees. "Those little puffy gums. You're gonna be so cute with teeth!"

"And that'll be fun for you," Janis chuckles.