day 19: making special breakfast

Start from the beginning

"Ooh, that could be nice, Mommy does like eggies. What else?"

"Toa't," Leo says. "And... and... and...um... bacoms."

"Eggies and toast and bacon does sound like a good breakfast, I think we can do that," Cady nods.

Between the three of them, the whole package of blueberries is gone rather quickly. Cady helps them wash the berry juice off their hands before she grabs the strawberries from the fridge.

"More berry?" Layla asks curiously, watching to see what her mama is up to.

"Yeah, let's wash some fruit for Mommy to have too, then we can get started cooking."

"Oh."

"Can you pick some bananas for me? Each of you choose one," Cady asks, making sure they're still steady on the counter and not going after anything they could hurt themselves with. They both nod and carefully start inching towards the bananas. Cady finishes washing the strawberries and heads over to help them pull the best bananas off. "Perfect! Good job, girls! Now we have to pick the best strawberries for Mommy."

She puts a small bowl in between the twins and lets them fill it with the berries they deem best. Layla grabs a strawberry and immediately puts it in her mouth. Leo follows suit.

"Guys, for Mommy! You had your breakfast!" Cady chides. Leo tries to put hers back, looking apologetic, but Cady gently guides it back. "No, baby, it's okay, finish your berry. If you're hungry you can always have food."

The twins hold and munch on their berries with one hand and fill the bowl with more berries with the other. Cady puts the rest of them back in the fridge when they're done and grabs a knife to start slicing them up. The twins are content to just sit and watch this part.

"Okay, now we can start cooking the eggies and everything," Cady says, grabbing the eggs from the fridge along with the pack of bacon. The twins get shifted to sit by the stove to help out.

"I do?" Layla asks, little fingers hovering ominously over an egg.

"Uhm... sure. But I'm gonna help you just a little bit. Come here," Cady says, trying to keep the anxiety out of her voice. They need to make messes sometimes, she reminds herself. "Which egg?"

"Uhm... dat one," Layla says, picking her favorite egg. "Smash it?"

"No no, baby, gentle," Cady says, catching the egg in her palm before Layla can smash it everywhere. "Tap it on the bowl a couple times, soft. Like this." She demonstrates, but lets Layla do it for real. "Yeah, good job. Now put your thumb there and push in."

Layla does, blinking in surprise as the egg bursts. Miraculously, most of it ends up in the bowl. "I did it!"

"You did, Ladybug, good job!" Cady praises. "No shell, either! Do you want to try, Bumblebee?"

"No t'ank you." Leo says. Cady nods and kisses the top of her head.

"Okay. Just a few more eggs and then we can cook them," she says. Layla helps crack a few more into the bowl, and Leo gets to help stir them to scramble them.

"Hot," Layla says, pointing to the pans Cady puts on the stove.

"Yeah, they are hot. We don't touch," Cady agrees. "Except the handles. And we need to be careful, okay?"

The twins both nod, their dark curls still wild around them. Cady grins and starts cooking the bacon, each piece having been hand selected by the babies. They also each pick one piece of bread to be made into toast, and work together to pick out a mug for Janis' coffee.