day 2: first day of snow

Start from the beginning

"Oh," Cady hums as the baby pulls the most revolted face. Layla smacks her lips curiously and looks at the spoon in confusion. "Oh, maybe?" Layla opens her mouth again, seeming to want another bite. "See if she'll sign for it, Jayjay."

"You want more?" Janis asks, demonstrating the sign Cady's been trying to teach them. "More?"

Layla looks at her oddly for a second before attempting to copy her motion. It's much less refined than Janis', but they can put it together well enough. She even goes the extra mile and adds in her sign for 'eat'.

"That's pretty good!" Cady cheers as Janis gives Layla some more of the yogurt. "Don't eat too much, though, you still need your actual breakfast."

"Good job, Bug!" Janis cheers, kissing her cheek to distract her from the fact that she's not going to get another bite. Cady smiles and switches the babies out while Janis goes back to finish making breakfast for the grownups.

-----

After everyone (including the pets) has been fed, Janis and Cady put their boots on to introduce the babies to their first snow.

"What do you think, my little snowflakes?" Cady asks, holding Leo so she can see. Janis has Layla, who flaps her arms like a bird in her excitement. "Someone's happy."

"Here, what do you think?" Janis chuckles, grabbing a small handful of snow and bringing it close for Layla to investigate. They didn't get their gloves, or anything on the little ones, since it was just supposed to be a quick look at the snow. Her fingers are already freezing. "Snow?"

"Nananana," Layla babbles, grabbing a little fistful from Janis' offered pile.

"I think she likes it," Cady giggles as Layla immediately tries to put her hand in her mouth. Janis stops her before she can. Layla looks curiously at her hand as the cold starts to set in. "Uh oh."

Layla bursts into tears as her little fingers freeze, wailing at her mommy. But she absolutely refuses to release her handful of snow.

"Well, Bug, you gotta let go of it," Janis chuckles sadly. Layla wails again. "Let go!"

Layla continues crying as Janis carefully pries her little fingers apart and brushes the remnants of snow off her chubby palm. Janis holds her small hand in her own to warm Layla's little fingers back up, as Layla cries into her shoulder.

"Poor baby," Cady says sadly. Janis just squeezes the little hand gently and hushes the baby as best she can. "This one seems happy, at least. What do you think, Bumblebee? You like the snow?"

"Lalala?" Leo asks, looking at her sister in concern.

"Lala's okay, sweetheart," Cady coos. "Should we go back inside?"

"Probably," Janis chuckles sadly. She and Cady kick the snow off their boots and head back inside. Layla continues her crying even as she feels the air get much warmer around her and her mommy gently kisses her chubby hand. "Poor baby. Shh, honeybunny. You're okay."

"We'll have to get them some little gloves next time," Cady chuckles. "We'll try again some other time."

"Yeah," Janis says, kissing a teary baby cheek. "I should probably go shovel the driveway before it freezes."

"I could," Cady offers. Janis shakes her head.

"You hate the cold. You stay here and love on the little ones," she says, handing a still weepy Layla over. "I'll be right back."

"Okay. Hurry, we'll miss you," Cady hums, kissing her wife as Janis goes to tug on her coat and hat and gloves.

"I'll miss you too. Be good for Mama, little bugs," she says, kissing all three of them before she opens the door.