sunset

As I began walking up our hill, I began to second-guess myself. However, it was comforting to know that I could quite literally run away from Tommy at any time I liked.

When I saw his lanky figure sprawled out on his blanket, I knew I wasn't running anywhere.

"Took your time." His voice was softer than I remembered, and I smiled as he moved over on the blanket for me to sit down.

"I had to think about what I wanted to say." I said, and his expression dropped.

"Listen, I am so sorry that I hurt you. If I'm being honest I'm not entirely sure what I did, but I would never hurt you intentionally. These past few weeks have been the best and I just want to make sure you know that." His eyes were wide as he spoke, and I smiled sadly.

"It was my fault-" I began, but he shook his head vehemently.

"No, it was mine. Truly, you need to understand I would never hurt you, and it killed me knowing you were upset with me." His voice wobbled, and I felt my eyes watering for some stupid reason.

"No, Tommy, it was my fault. My-My sister showed me your videos, and I don't know, it just made me upset for some reason." I explained vaguely, and his blue eyes were glassy.

"You know?" He asked, and I nodded.

"I don't really care that you kept it a secret, I don't know why I was upset." I admitted, and he frowned.

"Okay, I'm sorry again. I won't keep secrets anymore. Wait, can I ask what video of mine you watched?" He rubbed his neck, and for the first time I looked at the sky since I had arrived.

"Something about an MCC? I think my sister showed me that and then another video." I shrugged because I had no clue. 

It was quiet for a while. Sunsets are different to sunrises, you see.

Sunrises are full of promise and hope, and the future is a mystery. Sunsets are the opposite, and it was harder than I expected to watch it with Tommy.

It would be easier without knowing he'd rather be watching it with someone else.

"Tommy? Can I ask you something?" I finally said, and he nodded, looking away from the disappearing light.

"Of course, anything." He smiled sweetly, and I smiled back before realising what I was about to ask.

"Do you watch the sunrise with anyone else?" I coughed after I asked, so, so afraid he would know why I was asking.

"Nah, everyone else pisses me off too much in the morning." He said, and I paused.

He didn't watch the sunrise with anyone else.

"Hey, I have a joke. What do you call a girl who watches the sunrise?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"Y/n, how the fuck am I meant to know?" I laughed at his expression before taking a deep breath.

"You call them sunrise girl." I said, and Tommy paused.

"You motherfucker."