a heart shaped cloud

It had been a hard week. No, more than that. I had had a hard month, and it was honestly a surprise if I managed to get out of bed at all.

I was incredibly fortunate to have left high school, and my parents refused to place pressure on my college attendance. Last night, I had felt surprisingly optimistic, and had set an alarm for five in the morning.

The sound was blaring, and my eyes stung as I turned the alarm off. I took a deep breath before reluctantly sitting up. The cold was biting, and I hurried to pull on a robe, the low temperature waking me up.

I honestly couldn't remember making my coffee, or even getting changed. Early mornings always flew by to me, and I dug my hands deeper into my pockets as I left the house.

The sky had begun growing lighter, and I knew the perfect spot to watch the sun rise. My earphones were stuffed in my pockets, and I detangled the cords only to play "Coffee Cups and Cigarettes". It was funny how the lyrics meant so much more in the silence, and I breathed deeply.

On my way, I wiped the sleep out of my eyes before quickly warming my hands again. They were already cold, though I had begun to warm up as I reached the incline of the hill.

It overlooked my town, and was the most perfect spot I'd been in. I hadn't been for a while, especially during this time of day. I sat down on the hill as the sun began rising, and sighed contently. I heard rustling nearby, and glanced around to see a boy sit near me. He smiled awkwardly at me, and I nodded before looking back at the sky.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" He asked quietly, and I hummed.

"Yeah, it is. Easy to forget how amazing it really is." I said, and he was smiling when I glanced over at him.

"I haven't seen you up here before." He said matter of factly, and I sighed.

"Yeah, I don't really have an answer for that. I'm not exactly a morning person." The sky was covered in bright yellows and reds, and I shut my eyes briefly, imagining the warmth from the rays. When I opened them, the boy beside me was putting his phone away.

"Oh, I was taking a photo of the sky. My names Tom, by the way, but most people call me Tommy." He smiled, and I took my phone out to take my own photo of the sky.

"Thanks for the reminder. I'm y/n." I placed my phone back in my pocket, and Tommy stood up.

"I'd best be getting back. Maybe I'll see you around?" I turned to him and nodded, matching his smile.

"Yeah, of course. Bye, Tommy."

"Bye y/n."

I looked back at the sky, and noticed a cloud that looked oddly like a heart above us. Weird.