strike a pose

"You idiot! I thought you weren't coming!" I unleashed as I saw the mop of curls rising on the hill. He only snickered as he sat beside me, just in time for the show.

"You worry too much." He said, leaning back. For the first time in a while, I found myself at a loss for words.

It was as pretty as always, and right on cue Tommy took a photo of the sun in its glory. He noticed my eyes.

"I think some things in life are too pretty to miss, and by taking a photo I get to keep it forever." He said, in that weird way of his, and I smiled.

"You have an interesting way of looking at things." I said, and he smiled back.

"I'm glad I do. But I know that life is different for everyone, and that I'm luckier than most, which is why I think differently." The sun rose perfectly as I looked at Tommy, and his eyes were lit up in shades I hadn't ever seen before.

"You have nice eyes." I offered, and he paused.

"I know." He said cheekily, and I huffed before looking back at the sky.

"Hey, I was kidding! Well, I mean, I wasn't, my eyes are sexy as hell, but still!" He was such a fast talker, it was hard to keep up. But I did, and I laughed.

"Hey, we're getting coffee now, right? And it's your shout because you're mean to me." Tommy decided, and I whipped my head around to glare at him.

"You are literally so mean to me all the time. You're so lucky you're even friends with me." I said, and Tommy let out a noise between a scoff and a shriek.

"Okay, that's enough." I said quickly, but it was too late. Tommy was already howling with laughter, and I stood up.

"I'm getting breakfast without you." I declared, and he scrambled up quickly, his laughter subdued.

"No, impossible. Come on, its not far." He walked incredibly quickly through the hillside and the streets of Nottingham, causing my legs to ache slightly. A teeny tiny bit, hardly noticeable really.

"Come on, Shortstack, keep it moving." Tommy didn't even glance behind him to look at me as he shouted out, and I scowled at his back.

Fortunately, the coffee shop was close, and we entered to an almost empty room, aside from some girls in a corner. Tommy promised that he would order something nice, and shoved me towards a table before he went.

It was only after I sat down that I realised he was paying. I placed a tenner across the table from me while I waited, and smiled when he came back.

"I'm not taking your money." Tommy slid it back, and I glared.

"Yes you are." I shoved it back, and it soon became a war of shoving the bill back and forth between us. A coughing interrupted the brutal battle, and we glanced up, money momentarily forgotten.

"Is your name Tommy?" It was the group of girls from before, and Tommy smiled nervously.

"Yeah, I am. Nice to meet you." He looked so stiff and uncomfortable that I almost laughed. Almost. Until I realised that a group of random people were asking my friend for a photo, and that was weird.

"Could we get a photo?" One of them asked, and he glanced to me.

"I'll take it for you!" I offered, and I stood up from my chair to take the phone in an outstretched hand.

I took a bunch before handing the phone back, and the group waved before moving back to their table. Meanwhile, ours was silent.

"What was that?" I asked, and Tommy finally met my gaze.

"I don't know, I think I went to primary school with them." He said, and I frowned, but nodded. It wasn't my place to pry into his life.

"Would you rather drink piss or eat shit?" I asked, and Tommy's grin made me forget about it at all.

Well.

Almost.