private eye

It was a while before I watched the sun rise again. The part time job was time consuming, though each shift I came home greasier and greasier. At least I got 50% off of fast food.

When I set the alarm last night, I had briefly wondered whether or not Tommy would be there. Now, as I walked up the hill, I smiled when I saw his blond hair despite the darkness.

"You came." He said, and I sat besides him, looking towards the horizon.

"I came." I replied, and it was quiet while the sky lit up.

"Do you come here every morning?" I broke the silence eventually, and he didn't look away from the sun.

"Yeah, actually. Most of the time I haven't slept though, I'm a bit of a night owl." I looked at him in surprise, and through the morning light I saw the tinge of red in his eyes, as well as the dark circles under them.

"It's mostly for my job." He explained, and I nodded.

"What do you do?" I asked, and he looked at the sky before looking back at me.

"Tech stuff. I wouldn't want to bore you." He rushed to say, and I smiled.

"Sounds better than McDonalds." I said, and he laughed.

"Yeah, it is. I love my job, wouldn't trade it for the world. You work at McDonalds then?" I nodded sadly, and he laughed.

"You should enjoy what you do in life. We spend a lot of time working, I think it's important to find a level of enjoyment in it." He said wisely, and I narrowed my eyes.

"You didn't tell me you were smart, Tommy." I said, and he laughed.

"I have some pretty smart friends."

As the day grew, Tommy and I sat on our hill, watching it truly begin. It was peaceful until the fatigue hit me.

"I'd better go, I'll see you around." I stood up, and he followed.

"Do you have instagram? I dunno, I just know some funny videos you'd like." He explained, and I nodded.

"Just follow me whenever. My names Tom Simons sixty nine with no spaces." He said, and I nodded.

"Of course, bye Tommy." I walked down the hill, and when I glanced back, I caught his eye. Our mutual waves made me laugh, and I headed home after sending the private account a request.

Out of all the days I'd had in the past year, this one was my favourite.