Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"It's just you and me Kenz. Nothing else matters right now." He said between kisses, feeling her slowly unwinding beneath him.

When her tears had subsided and her breathing patterns had fully reset and become even, Hunter tried to keep her talking, giving her a safe space to discuss what had just happened.

"Do you feel safe with me?" He asked, raising his head so he could see her eyes.

"You're the only person who makes me feel safe." She answered immediately with nothing but sincerity in her eyes.

Music to my fucking ears.

"I'd never let anything happen to you." He reassured her.

"I know. And you...stopped when I asked you to."

The fact that there was surprise in her voice meant the trust building mission he was on was far from complete, but he was glad she recognized his full stop when she used her safe word.

"That's what it's for. I respect your rules no matter how much I might dislike them Kenzie."

She nodded at his words, replaying the events in her mind which made her little brows furrow.

Go ahead sweetheart, relive it while I'm here keeping you safe and calm.

Keeping most of his weight on his elbows, Hunter stayed on top of Kenzie, letting her mindlessly twirl his hair in her fingers as she started recalling and reliving the emotional events that had unfolded at Knight.

"I felt out of control." She admitted softly.

"I know."

"It was like I felt everything my father and brother had done to me at once and I just...I needed to run...You were going to let me run."

I was going to have you followed but that's beside the point.

"It's not my job to let you do anything Kenzie. You're mine, but that doesn't mean I get a say so in every decision you make. I hated the idea of you leaving, in fact I knew it was dangerous for you to drive in that state and would have tailed you the entire way home, but if you feel like you need space from me and ask for it...I'd never force you to stay anywhere. I'd never force you to do anything."

"But you like to be in control." She stated as a half question as she tilted her head to the side.

"I only want the control you give me. You choose when that happens and when it doesn't."

His words resonated deeply with Kenzie, pulling the first smile he'd seen from her in the past few hours.

"I chose to hand over my control today. I needed you to tell me what to do when I felt overwhelmed. It felt...good."

Every sweet word that fell off of Kenzie's lips awakened something primal in Hunter and he flexed and rolled the muscles in his back to release some of the tension there, shifting his weight as he laid on top of Kenzie.

"I'm so fucking glad you did." Was all he could say, unable to deny himself some light kisses at the base of her neck.

"What am I going to do about Banks?" She asked, sobering his sensual advances in an instant.

That's a good question. One I don't have the answer to...yet. But strategy and planning is something I'm damn good at. We'll figure this shit out together.

Letting out a sigh, Hunter looked at his worried Kenzie who was staring up at him, begging him for answers and guidance that he didn't have at the moment.

"I don't know. Seems to me like you need more information before you can make a well informed strategy."

"And how do I get more information?" She asked, but it was clear she already knew the answer and braced herself before Hunter said the words.

"You're gonna have to talk to him." Hunter admitted, watching her expression drop as he confirmed her fears.

"Will you come with me?"

"Abso-fucking-lutely I will. I'll even talk to him first if you want me to." He offered.

"Yes please. I need that."

I'll give you anything you need Kenzie. But right now you need to rest.

"How about this...why don't you sleep for a few hours and give that little body of yours a rest, I'll set up a time to meet with Banks and when you wake up we'll make a list of questions you need answers to, then we'll go from there. Sound like a plan?"

Smiling up at Hunter with a sweet smile that melted him, Kenzie tightened her hold on the back of his neck.

"You always have the answers." She said, with a calmness in her voice that Hunter was grateful for.

"Get some sleep Kenz." Hunter said, placing a soft sweet kiss on her lips before laying his head back down on her chest, staying firmly in place until she asked him to move. But she didn't...and he didn't mind one bit. 

********

Thoughts? Theories? I love hearing from you!