Chapter 22

February 1980

"Auntie Dora, how come you don't have any kids?" Nymphadora asked, as Pandora braided her long, dark hair.

Pandora's fingers froze in the middle of her weave, "well, it's complicated."

"How so?" She looked up curiously, her eyes shifting from green to violet, "you'd be a good mum."

"Thanks, little Tonks," Pandora smiled sadly.

"Hey!" Nymphadora pouted, "how many times do I have to tell you? I hate it when you call me Tonks."

"Aw, no, you love it," Pandora teased, sticking out her tongue, "now sit still so I can finish your hair."

"No," Nymphadora tried to pull away.

"Nymphadora!" Pandora exclaimed, holding a tight grip on her hair, "sit down!"

"No!" She said again.

Suddenly the long dark hair disappeared from Pandora's hands and Nymphadora was free, her hair now falling in yellow waves just above her shoulders.

"That's cheating," Pandora crossed her arms.

"You're just mad because you can't do it," Nymphadora said triumphantly. 

"But can you do this?" Pandora asked, flicking her wand with a smirk.

A jet of water hit Nymphadora in the face and she spluttered, shooting Pandora a dirty look.

"You know I'm not old enough for magic," she frowned.

"Only a few more years," Pandora said, "and then you'll get to go to Hogwarts like everyone else."

"I want to be a Slytherin," the young girl said, "just like you and mum."

"Whatever house would be lucky to have you."

"Are you really leaving today?" Nymphadora's face fell.

Pandora nodded, "but don't worry, little Tonks, I'll visit all the time. You can even come visit me."

"Promise?" She held out her pinky finger.

"Pinky promise," Pandora said, linking her finger with the young girl's.

Nymphadora laughed and her hair turned a bubblegum pink.

"That's a new one," Pandora laughed lightly.

"What is?" Nymphadora asked.

"Your hair, it's pink!" Pandora handed her a mirror.

"Huh, it is," Nymphadora giggled.

"I like it," Pandora declared, reaching out to ruffle it, "it suits you."

"Ready? Dora?" Sirius knocked on the open door.

"Uncle Sirius!" Nympadora squealed, latching onto his legs.

"Let go of me, you little squirt," Sirius laughed, shaking his leg.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Pandora smiled softly, "I've just got to go say bye to Andy and Ted."

"Take your time," Sirius said, "Remus is already moving some of your boxes back into the house."

Pandora nodded and squeezed Sirius's arm as she passed.

"Can I help with anything?" Pandora asked, walking into the kitchen where Andromeda and Ted were washing dishes the muggle way.

"Oh, no, Dear," Andy smiled, wiping her hands on a towel, "are you sure you're ready to go? You know you're welcome here for as long as you need."