Chapter 9

1977

"This is miserable," Regulus groaned.

"It has to be nearly over," Pandora sighed, reaching over to straighten his bow tie.

"They could go all night if they wanted," Regulus said, "I want to get you out of here before the guest of honor arrives."

"I can pretend to be sick?" Pandora offered, "I don't understand why they've made this such a big event, we've been betrothed since I was born."

"It's all a show," Regulus rolled his eyes, "to present the Black's to society as a Noble house once again, after the whole Sirius debacle, our name hasn't carried as much honor."

"I think it's bollocks," Pandora groaned, "I don't enjoy being flaunted around like a prize."

"But my darling, you are a prize," Regulus winked.

"Oh, stop that," Pandora flushed.

"Honestly, Dora," he wrapped his arms around her waist, "I am so lucky to have you."

She smiled and kissed his cheek, "and I you."

"I've gotten you something," he said digging in his pocket, "close your eyes."

She did as instructed, feeling him pull away from her.

"Ok, open them."

Regulus was down on one knee on the green bathroom tile, a velvet box in his hand.

"I know it's a little pointless," he chuckled, "but I thought I'd do this properly, Pandora Ophelia Lestrange, I've loved you since the moment I met you and I will continue loving you until the day I die. Will you marry me?"

"Oh my! Merlin! Yes!" She squealed, sinking down to the floor to hug him.

"Yes?" He smiled.

"Yes," she kissed him, "I will marry you."

He opened the box and slid a delicate gold band with a small diamond onto her ring finger.

"I love it," she kissed him again.

"Regulus! Get out here this instant!"

"Shite," Regulus swore under his breath. "Coming! Mother!"

He turned back to Pandora, "I'll figure out how to get you home, I'd rather you never have to meet the Dark Lord."

"I don't want to meet him either, Regulus," Pandora said, "but don't you think it's a little presumptuous to believe I never will?"

Regulus shook his head, "not for as long as I live."

"Ok," Pandora sighed.

"Regulus!" Walburga's voice shrieked yet again.

"I've got to go," Regulus huffed, "enjoy the peace for as long as it takes for someone to notice that you're missing."

He slipped out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Pandora looked down at her ring and smiled fondly.

The diamond was shaped like a crescent moon, reminding her perfectly of Regulus. It was perfect in every way imaginable.

A soft knock startled Pandora out of her daze.

"Dora? May I come in?"

It was Rabastan.

"Yeah," she called back.

The door creaked open and closed shortly after.

"Having fun?" Pandora asked her brother.

He looked worn and tired, at twenty-five, Rabastan Lestrange could easily pass for a man in his late-thirties, however his eyes still sparkled with mischief and youth.