Chapter 7

1975

"Miss Lestrange, Master Lestrange is waiting for you in the entryway," a house elf appeared in the doorway to her chambers.

"Thank you, Krest," Pandora forced a smile. Their new house elf just could not compare to Zinkie.

She shook her head and smiled, Rabastan had come home. She rushed down the stairs and through the corridors, throwing the door open to the entryway and—

"Rodolphus?" Pandora froze where she stood, eyeing her eldest brother warily.

"Pandora?" he asked stiffly, "you look much older than the last time I saw you."

Pandora scoffed, "the last time you saw me, I was eight years old. I would be quite concerned if I looked the same."

"Has it been that long?" He frowned, "how old are you now."

"I am fourteen," she said coolly, "why are you here?"

"You don't have to act like I am a stranger, Dora," Rodolphus chuckled dryly, "I am your brother."

"Brother or not, you are barely an acquaintance," Pandora snapped, "do not address me as if we're anything but."

"Very well," he nodded.

"Why are you here?" Pandora repeated.

"I've come to speak to you," Rodolphus said, "I have heard about Regulus Black's commitment to the Dark Lord."

"And why would you wish to speak to me?" Pandora crossed her arms.

"You are his betrothed, you will be joining him, I assume?" Rodolphus said.

"It is not wise to assume anything of me," she said, "however, I will not be receiving the mark, if that is what you are implying."

"Pandora, it's a great honor to be bestowed upon you," Rodolphus frowned, "why would you deny something of this magnitude?"

"Forgive me for not particularly giving a rat's arse about your opinion," she smiled sweetly, "and I apologize if you came all this way just to influence me, because I'm afraid that just won't work."

"Pandora, you are a Lestrange—"

"I have not forgotten my surname," she cut him off, "I believe it best if you go now, I'm afraid you've come here for nothing. I'm sure you could find mother in the garden if you wished to speak to her."

"Very well," Rodolphus ran a hand through his dark hair, "Happy Christmas, sister."

Rodolphus was gone in time for Christmas dinner, Amabel and Pandora sat across from each other eating their meals in a fixed silence.

"Hello?" A voice came from the floo.

"Rabastan!" Pandora grinned, shooting up from her chair sprinting to the sitting room to greet her brother.

"Dora!" He smiled, dropping his bag to lift her in an embrace.

"You're late," she accused.

"I know, I'm sorry," he ruffled her hair as he placed her back on the ground.

"Rabastan," Amabel appeared in the doorway, her arms crossed, "you're aware that it's improper to arrive in the middle of a meal?"

"Honestly mother," Rabastan sighed, "I've just come home for holiday and that's all you have to say to me?"

"I'll have Krest get another place setting," Amabel said, swiftly walking away.

"Charming, as always," Rabastan said.