𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Katherine was her mother’s daughter, in more ways than one, but most strikingly was in her looks

Katherine was her mother’s daughter, in more ways than one, but most strikingly was in her looks. She had York features, alabaster skin with blond hair and light eyes, with a button nose. There were few things Tudor about her, in personality as well as looks. The young Princess was a treasure to her father, he held her close and kept her in Westminster despite her growing into the age where typically young Princes and Princess were sent away. 

Instead, Katherine grew up in the English court, surrounded by people and yet she felt deep loneliness. 

When her father died she was six years old, an orphan, and her brother became King. Her brother, Harry, was distant from her. She assumed it was a mixture of their age gap being so large and her being a sister rather than a brother who he might’ve had something in common with. Harry had decided to give Katherine the duchy of Cambridge and so that is where she resided for the past seven years. 

In those seven years, Harry had married off her older sister Marry to the King of France : Louis XII, who died not even a year into their marriage. Mary then returned to England, having married Charles Brandon without their brother’s permission,and was banished from court. 

Louis’s son and heir, Eugene, was deemed too young to rule alone and so required a regent; Francis of Orleans. Francis stole the crown from his young cousin, who retaliated by raising an army and took his rightful throne. A year later, he asked for Katherine’s hand in marriage. 

Henry had agreed. 

1517 England

Katherine did not like carriage rides. The roads that they traveled on were bumpy and left the carriage rocking with the motions, bouncing her off her seat every ten to fifteen seconds. She was getting nauseous but her governess, the stern Lady Margaret Stafford, wouldn’t even consider stopping to allow the princess some reprise to spill her guts. 

“You’re being dramatic,” Margaret said as she side eyed her young charge. “You will be fine. It’s only half an hour before we are there, you are just wary. We can rest in the palace.” 

So Katherine had little choice but to tough it out. This carriage ride would be nothing in comparison to what was to come next.

When they arrived at the English court, which at the time was held at Hampton Palace, they were quickly escorted inside by Cardinal Wolsey. He greeted the princess with a tight lipped smile before turning to her governess. 

“The King is waiting for an audience with the Princess, he will see her first and then you,” he informed her. 

Margaret nodded and they made their way to the throne hall. It was a large hall, the walls lined with single chairs and lit with mostly natural lighting. The walls were decorated with tapestries and royal portraits, there was a chandelier hanging from the ceiling and Katherine wondered what the room looked like filled with people. She imagined throwing a party in a room like this, filled with drink and music. It had been so long since she had been to a party, perhaps over three years now. 

They were led through doors on the side of the throne to a council room where they saw Henry and his wife (also named Catherine) standing a table with a chest board, only, the pieces had pieces of parchment tied to them and as Katherine got close enough she could see her’s and another’s names written on them. There were other pieces as well with the names of her niece (Mary Princess of Wales) and two other supposed princes or maybe english dukes.

Katherine and her governess dipped into curtsies as they greeted the monarchs. 

 “Your highness,” Catherine said with a fond smile, “it is good to see you again. Oh how you’ve grown since the last time we’ve seen you.” 

Katherine lifted herself and returned the Queen’s smile, her green eyes shimmering curiosity and poorly hidden adoration. 

Catherine took in her sister-in-law’s clothes, a soft blue dress in the modest English style of the time. Her blond hair was pinned up in an intricately braided bun, a few locks hung down to frame her face. She noted how Katherine was maturing, she would most likely inherit the height of her mother and perhaps her figure as well. “You are very beautiful,” Catherine commented. “You look much like your mother.”

Katherine’s eyes widened and she positively beamed at the compliment. “Thank you, your majesty!” she chirped.  

Henry took a glance at his sister and nodded, “How are your studies?” he asked. 

Lady Margaret choice to speak, “Your sister is doing well in her lessons, particularly music, history and politics.” 

Henry scoffed at the mention of politics. “A woman has no place learning such things,” he commented and Catherine seemed to grow uncomfortable; the tips of her ears burning. “What of any talents? Can she play the lute? Sing?” 

“Your sister is very musically inclined, her fingers bless by God to create masterpieces, I’m sure,” Margaret said. “She can dance, but, I fear she is guilty of pride.” 

Katherine shifted the weight of her feet, suddenly the tapestry behind her brother and sister-in-law looked very interesting. 

“That can be dealt with,” Henry said. “What of linguistics?” 

“She speaks French, Latin, Spanish and Italian fluently, your majesty,” Margaret said. “And a little German and Portuguese but she is much better with French.” 

At that, Henry finally smiled. “Good. One less thing to worry about. You both may go.” 

Bemused, Katherine dared a glance back at her sister-in-law and Queen; Catherine’s eyes were darker now and she had a few more wrinkles than she ought to have. She was stilled decked in jewels but she seemed tired. Maybe a little sad, too. 

Katherine smiled at her, her eyes reflecting a warmth that Catherine hadn’t felt in sometime. The young girl had no idea what was going on, but she knew her sister was sad. For a moment, Katherine assured herself that she would stay at court to make sure her sister was happy again. Like she remembered. 

They were led to their rooms and a day went by of nothing really happening. This was disappointing but Katherine wasn’t really expecting anything anyway. She sat in her chambers with Margaret all day, who scolded her and had her practise her French. 

They were summoned again, this time by Catherine, to meet in the Queen’s rooms. Her ladies sat all round her room on chairs, two of them (a blond and brunette who looked like sisters) were sat on the floor on cushions. 

They greeted each other and Catherine embraced Katheirne. With a nod to her ladies and Margaret they were alone to talk. 

“Now,” Catherine said,”I know that this will come as a shock to you---as it did me since you are so young--but your brother has decided you are to be married.” 

With an announcement like that, there were only two questions to ask. “To whom? Is there already a date set?” 

Catherine nods,”You leave in a fortnight.” 

“Who am I to be married to?” Katherine asks with a bit more urgency.

“Eugene de Valois. “ 

“Le garçon roi.”