Chapter 43

The waiter had served our meals and we ate quietly but I could feel a pair of eyes on me and I looked up to find Declan looking at me with a small beautiful smile on his face.

"You're not eating?" I asked him.
He instead put his cutlery down and held his head in his palm looking at me.

"I am just thinking about how lucky whoever got you is." I knew where this was heading but I felt the need to tell him that he was wrong. I didn't have anyone but before I could start he interrupted me, "You know thinking about you always made me think I had lost but now looking at you makes me know.... That I won." He looked away like he was in deep thought but continued. "Even if I am not going to be the one to have you for myself for ever, I am glad I had you once, you made me who I am right now." He looked back at me and held my hand that lay on the table. "Thank you,Tiana."

I looked up at him, he sure was happy. He wasn't the broken high school boy I knew, he was much more but most of all, he was better than ever before. I pulled my hand out and held it on top of his own, "Declan, do you want to settle for less?" I asked.

"Obviously not but I lost that the. ........" I didn't wait for him to finish and interupted him instead.

"How about I do the talking and you do the listening, okay?" I looked at him and he nodded his head. "I waited for you even though I didn't expect you to come  for me, I still waited." I stopped and let him hold my hands in his giving them a slight squeeze. "I didn't see any other man the way I had always seen you.

I didn't let any other man hold me the way you did or even touch me. At first, I thought i was being cautious but no! I wanted only you. I tried to forget you but I couldn't."

"Does that mean you're still......" He asked looking at me. His dark eyes shining with a glint of hope.

"Waiting for you? Yes but only if you're still....." He interrupted me this time and pulled me gently to my feet.

"Tiana, I have waited this whole time and you don't know how happy it makes me me to think you waited for me this whole time." He pulled me and hugged me. It was soft but I felt safe in his strong arms. I missed this so I relaxed in his hold and felt every thing about this.

I was sure going to try this for him, someone I had once loved and I was going to see it work.

We finally pulled away and he connected his forehead to mine,"Can I kiss you, please?" He asked in his deep and raspy voice. His minty breathe fanning my face and his dark eyes looking into mine.

I shook my head in acceptance and in a few, his cold lips were connected to mine In passionate kiss. I let my lips move in sync with his, tugging on to his hair.

He bit my lower lip and slid his tongue into my mouth. A groan escaped his lips as he went on to explore my lips, his hands roaming up and down my back. I missed this, it felt good and I wanted it, not just for then but for good. I wasn't going to back down on what I had decided.

We finally pulled away and he beamed at me. "I missed you." He said pulling me into a hug and putting his face into the crook of my neck. I held onto his shirt and although I couldn't say it, I missed this too.

We later went on with our date and he drove me back after talking about several things. His family had stabilized, his father was still in a comma but his heart had stabilized and it was beating normally.

Mia, the little girl had now joined high school and the way Declan talked about her made me realize that he really adored her.

My best friend Avery was now engaged to her childhood bestfriend, Taylor. Even though they hadn't gotten along well somewhere in between, they were now together.

Kim was now married to Alec. He had his own gallery and Alec was a model. I smiled at all that. Everything had turned out okay, maybe moving away wasn't a bad idea at all.

Though everything had changed, it had all changed for the better.

"Goodnight." Declan said as the car finally pulled up in front of my house. "I will see you soon,right?"

"Sure." I chuckled and started to shift in order to move but he held my hand. He wanted to say something but he seemed nervous. "Yes?"

He came closer and pulled me into a light kiss which lasted a few seconds and he pulled away. "I will make this work, I promise." He gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

He had said the same words once and broke them but now, I didn't hesitate to trust him.

I finally walked to the house with a big smile on my face. This was so far the best experience in many years and I looked forward to being with him and making this work for us.

I entered the quiet house and walked straight to my room with a smile.

For the first time, I was so excited to wake up for another day.

__________________

Vote and comment if you liked it.

We are coming to the end 😊