Chapter 27: Among normal people (pt 1)

Comenzar desde el principio

Lucius eyed the increased gap between them again.

"What's with the coldness?"

Anthony looked down at the sight as well with raised eyebrows, as if he hadn't noticed.

"Oh. Well, with the way things are currently, I should probably not be caught with your makeup on my shirt." He grimaced, and Lucius groaned in return.

"Now I can't even be close to you in secret? What's next, spiritual cuddling?"

"If it's cuddling you want, we can arrange something later." Anthony raised Lucius' chin. "After the feast."

Lucius' ears reddened, but he decisively seized his composure before it could fly away.

"Speaking of which, I think we should go over some details just to make sure. We might have to rearrange the schedule given the recent changes."

"Passionate about this holiday too?" Anthony looked a little disappointed at Lucius' indifference to the flirting, but obediently turned around to look at the desk. "I thought it was just Dyris' day."

"Dyris may be my Archon." Lucius linked his fingers despite the nausea it caused him. "But it's not like the others are bad— Well, except for Dinthia. Besides, Phion is Sam's Archon of worship, so I'd like to make the day great for him as well."

Anthony hummed.

"Pity you won't get to spend the day together then, what with the BBT feast and all. It would be unacceptable for Lucia to not attend."

"I very much plan to attend," Lucius assured him with a quirk of his brow. "But I'm celebrating with Sam and Eliza as well."

Anthony's eyes filled with dread.

"... What did you do?"

"I invited them," Lucius declared, holding up the guest list and pretending to be blissfully unaware of Anthony's dismay. "They're coming to the feast."

A moment passed while Anthony tried to find the words.

"You're... Bringing people from The Entrails to the BBT's feast of healing." He nodded slowly, not quite unable to process it. "How— What... How do you think that will go over? You can't possibly—"

"I'm smuggling them inside." Lucius waved Anthony's words away as if that fact didn't make things worse. "Sam will work with the kitchen staff, and Eliza will act as one of Lady Marberry's maids."

Anthony's face kept scrunching up in horror.

"Catherine already has her own servants at the ready, even when she's not around."

"Well, one of them won't be able to make it." Lucius beamed, only to blink as he saw the expression on Anthony's face. "No, I-- I didn't do anything to her. She really is sick. Just normal-sick, and I had Eliza take over for her. No one will know."

"I wouldn't meddle with Catherine's staff," Anthony warned. "She's hand-picked every single one of them."

"It's just a temporary replacement." Lucius placed his hands on his hips, growing tired of the man's disbelief. "And Catherine can't mind because she won't even be there. You said it could take weeks before our message would reach her."

Anthony drummed his fingers against his folded arms.

"... Don't you think they will feel... I don't know, out of place? And doesn't Mr. Faal despise anglers?"

"With all his heart," Lucius agreed. "But it's alright. We will socialise in secret from time to time, but they won't be there to get acquainted with the rich."