looking towards the history

Book burning is the deliberate destruction by fire of books or other written materials, usually carried out in a public context. The burning of books represents an element of censorship and usually proceeds from a cultural, religious, or political opposition to the materials in question.
In past many countries has lost there priceless books,
Germany 1993; Iran 1946; United States 1948, Israel, Italy, India and so on.

Attack on library history
• library of Alexandria northern Egypt
• imperial history of Constantinople
• house of wisdom
• monasteries throughout England
• the library of Congress
• las Angeles Central Library
And many more

A little bit more about las Angeles Central library.
Mystery Of A Massive Library Fire Remains Unsolved After More Than 30 Years.
Mysteriously it was burnt on April 29 , 1986 The fire burned for seven hours.
More than million of books were burnt and destroyed.

it took more than 350 firefighters and nearly every part of the fire department to squelch the fire

it took more than 350 firefighters and nearly every part of the fire department to squelch the fire. Some 60 fire fighting companies, one arson unit, nine paramedic rescue ambulances, three helicopters, four salvage companies, one squad, two emergency air units, a heavy utility company, and more than 40 support personnel and staff were involved.

Ultimately, 400,000 volumes - 20 percent of the library's holdings - were destroyed, with significant water and smoke damage done to the surviving works. But the preparation for a possible disaster of a $160 million loss was reduced to an actual loss of $2 million in damage to the structure and $20 million in damage to the contents. Out of over 1.2 million books that were in the library at the time of the fire only 350,000 received any fire or water damage. The more important fact is that 85% of the total value of the structure and contents were saved. Today, the library's holdings are 2.5 million items (books, music, movies, magazines, and books on tape or CDs including more than 100,000 digital items.)

Z. Rai