Chapter 12, Building bridges

Start from the beginning

 Before going down, I knocked on Jordan’s bedroom door. His room was adjacent to mine.

“Jordan?” 

“Come in!” He called.

As you enter Jordan’s room, the first thing you notice is his walls. They are covered in sea animals posters.

•       Turtles

•       Whales

•       Sharks

•       Star fish

But mostly dolphins. Its been like that for as long as I can remember. Each  poster is from a different year in his life. It’s like his own personal timeline. Every picture holding a memory. 

“Morning, why are you staring out the window?” I asked.

“Come see.”

 I sat on his bed beside him -on my knees- and peered down on to the right side of our front lawn, pressing my nose against the window like a little kid. There were police in our front yard again.

“What’s going on?” I asked, in an alarmed state.

“Early this morning, dad got a phone call from the police. I don’t know why, but then half an hour later, they showed up at our door.” “They don’t look like they’re taking him away.” I said.

“Yeah, I guess, but they’ve been talking for like an hour now.”  Jordan said.

“I’m gonna go get Keign.”

“Ok.”

Two doors down was Keign’s room. I lifted my hand up, ready to knock but I got a strong feeling that I should just go inside.

And I was right.

His curtains were drawn, making his room look very dark, as if it was night time.

As I walked in, I saw that he was sitting on the carpet with his back leaning against his bed. His hands covering his face.

“Keign?” I kneeled beside him.

“Keign, are you ok?” 

He didn’t say anything, he just slowly moved his hands revealing red, puffy eyes.

“Keign are you... are you crying?!” 

 Stupid! Of course he was crying, but why?

I didn’t need an answer. I just pulled him in for a hug. A proper, sibling, -Our life- is-a-train-wreck-but-we-will-survive- hug.

Soon after, I heard a few foot steps heading our way. Two other people wrapped their arms around us.

We all sat in silence, comforting one another for, what felt like, a very long time.

“Ok, I’m starting to suffocate.” Keign announced.

One by one, we all let go.

“Louis, what are you doing here?” Keign asked. 

“Well...” 

Louis, and I began to explain at the same time. Talking over each other and making it almost impossible for anyone to understand what we were saying.