Chapter 20

Warning: contains themes of suicide and self harm

Aurora

I found myself standing in front of the nearest hospital after a few minutes. I came running here. Breathing heavily, I saw that the main gate of the hospital was closed. I was going to take my phone out of my pocket to call Adam when I saw a figure in the dark sitting on the bench. Hesitantly I approached it. 

"Adam. I am here." I realised it was him. 

He lifted his head up and looked at me then motioned with his hand to sit beside him. His hair was a mess. There were a few dried tears visible in the dim light coming from across the street. He looked awful. The wind was cold and he was shivering. I took off my jacket and put it on his shoulders. I was wearing a warm t-shirt so I wouldn't be cold. He needed the jacket more than me. 

"How is your friend?" I asked after a while sitting there. 

"He jumped off a building. His head is severely injured. The doctors say he might not wake up for a while. It might take weeks or months or even y..years." He choked the last part out.

"Everything is going to be fine Adam." I didn't know what else to say. 

"Did you inform your family that you are here right now. They might worry." I said putting my hand on his. 

"There is no one to worry about me." 

"I am sure your family will worry." He is just saying those words as he is emotional right now. 

"No, there really is no one who will worry about me. I have no family. No friends. The only person who would have worried about me is my childhood friend who is in the hospital right now." He said with a sad smile. As if accepting that there really is no one there for him. It has to be a lie. 

"Then, do you think your friend will like it if you stay alone at night in the cold in front of a hospital?" 

"Does it matter? He is in the hospital right now fighting for his life. No, he was probably fighting for a long time. I knew it, but I couldn't even stop him from doing that to himself." 

"It isn't your fault." Was the only thing I could say.

"It is. You don't know anything Aurora."

"What you are doing right now is blaming yourself. I don't really know your friend but I am sure he will be disappointed in you right now. "

"It doesn't matter now." 

"It does matter. There are people who worry about you no matter how much you think otherwise. What your friend needs right now is people hoping for him to get better and support from his friend. Not someone drowning in self pity!" I raised my voice, growing frustrated. 

"I don't see any people like that here. Where are they?" He scowled. 

"Ugh. I came here because I was worried, right? There are people who are worried too. Why did you call me if you were going to be like that?" 

"I didn't call you to come here. I called you to say I was sorry that I couldn't have lunch with you today. " He looked frustrated too. 

"That's great then! That means I came here uninvited." Tears started to show up at the corners of my eye. I was grateful that it was dark. The last thing I wanted for him to see is me crying. 

When he didn't say anything and just sat there with his face in his hands, I stood up ready to leave. 

"Sorry." It was soft but I heard it. 

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. 

"I'm being an asshole right now. Let me take you home, it's late. I will go home too after dropping you off." Adam said. 

"I am sorry too for shouting at you." He did not reply. Maybe he did not have the strength to reply. 

We both got in his car which was across the street. The whole ride Adam did not say anything except this one time he asked for my address. His knuckles were tightly holding the steering wheel. His eyes were bloodshot and he was only wearing a while t-shirt and a pair of jeans. He returned my jacket with a small thank you. 

I regretted saying all the things I said to him today. I was being selfish. I did not think much about the mental state he would be in after one of his best friends tried to harm himself. I wish I could comfort him. I almost burst into tears in the car. 

The car came to a stop in front of my house. 

"See you tomorrow." I said hopefully. 

"Yes."

Just as I was closing the door of the car he called me again. 

"Yes?" 

"Thank you." Saying this he drove off in the dark night. I stood there watching his car slowly fade away. Even after everything he thanked me. He thanked me for coming. 

After his car could no longer be seen, I got inside the house making as little noise as possible to not wake anybody up. 

"Where were you?" 

                        **********

Things just got heated there. Whose side are you guys on?

Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you did enjoy reading.

Thanks for all the comments telling me take care of my health. I love you all.

Your very healthy author,
Herawritesxxx.