XXIII

Shaera thought the meeting would have been concluded with a sworn allegiance of sorts... she was wrong. Hours passed, bickering commenced endlessly... no lord willing to talk numbers with the presence of the High Lord of Spring. Hybern was concise, sharpened to clasp the kill. This, this was a mess. Different people, different pasts, feelings, and grudges, thrown into chaos as a means to cure a war. They were all going to die. Dread welled in the base of her gut.

The sun slipped through the sky welcoming the burnt glow of the evening, Thesan pushed back his chair. Shaera jolted and sat up, her eyes flickered around the space, the movement had pulled her back from the depth of her mind

"You are all welcome to stay the night and resume this discussion in the morning—unless you wish to return to your own homes for the evening."

"Thank the Gods" the word fell past her tongue before her mind had a chance to catch up.

"My thoughts exactly" Helion mused, his white teeth glistened in the warmth of the setting sun, Amber eyes ablaze in a burning glory. Many occupants of the room stood from their chairs, attendants led the courts from the room and towards their designated suites. Tamlin was escorted away first,  a trembling attendant and Thesan himself in his wake. He had chosen not to attack Rhys or Feyre or any member of the Night Court during the debate, though he made it quite clear that he did not wish to acknowledge either the High Lord or Lady.  Shaera wasn't spared the glares of death-filled threats. He did not utter a word. Tarquin followed out soon after, then Helion who sent the ex-commander a rather obvious grin, kindness, no, flirtatious, definitely.
Only Kallias's party and the Night Court remained. Rhysand rose from his seat, before dragging a hand through his hair.

"That went well. It would seem none of us won our bet about who'd fight first." The rest of the occupants lulled in subtle amusement
Azriel stared at the floor, stone-faced. Shaera pushed herself from the chair, her legs and shoulders aching in protest.

"Come" she whispered through his mind, hazel met Violet, the Shadowsinger gazed at her as though she was the key to his peace, mercy, salvation. Shaera held her hand out to him, he moved across the room, the rough scarred edges of his hands slipped into hers.

"I'll find the room" the dark-haired woman murmured to the rest of the Nigh Court, Cassian nodded, his eyes still carved from that warm caring glint. As she met eyes with Feyre and Rhysand, they allowed something else to stir within their irises for the first time... something different, a new light. Shaera's black dress swirled and crashed around her feet, a violent tornado or night and shadow. Azriel walked alongside her powerful strides, they moved in sync, her heels offering the satisfying "CLICK" against the polished marbled floor.

"Do you know where you're going?" Azriel's voice was strained, his face a picture of stoic concealment

"Of course" she replied, her eyes flickering over to him for a moment.

"Do I ask how?" Shaera's lip twitched in amusement, the tension in her shoulders releasing slightly. Thesan's mind was an easy maze, a childish amusement.

"I think you already know" a low hum of acknowledgement sounded from deep within his chest

"That I do" he replied, his hazel eyes still glistened with the reminiscence of his remorse, yet ease intertwined within that poison.

A warm glow kissed the walls of the sunstone halls, fireflies danced around the darkened space beyond, Shaera sighed, the air was warm, sweet with honeysuckle, Azriel's hand was scorching in hers, his palm perfectly melding with her own. The silence was peace. The ex-commander revelled in it, the tranquillity of simple existence.  

"Answer me this.-" The Shadowsinger spoke softly, his gaze settling ahead of them, Shaera hummed in acknowledgement violet gaze still dancing over the scenery.