XVIII

Shaera's still darkened eyes snapped open... it was night ... a different tent.... had she been kidnapped? It didn't look like Hybern... did they even have tents? They must have tents...She didn't know anymore. Her back ached... everything ached, even her face ached. Shaera could feel the newly formed scab on her lip and cheekbone. A soft groan fell from her mouth. Gods, she felt like absolute shit. Her head turned, dark eyes flickered over the interior. It was empty besides a small chest, desk, bedside table, and obviously the small bed she was laying on. How did they even have time to get that to the camp? Shaera nearly didn't see the Illyrian asleep on the chair a small way away from the bed. Azriel was slumped, hands crossed over his chest. He had stayed.... the shadow singer looked peaceful...She sat up slightly on her elbows, pain rippled along her spine, she lowered back down again. Her tongue was dry, Shaera didn't want to wake Azriel in her hunt for water,  he'd fought alongside her as well, and deserved sleep, however uncomfortable it was. Shaera's finally got herself up and swivelled her legs around to touch the floor. Grass...grass was nice. She pushed off the bed. Pain shot through her spine again, this time a hiss erupted past her lips, she quickly lowered back down. The dark-haired woman snapped her head to look at Azriel. Still asleep. Yet again, his alertness was slacking.

"I know you're making a snide mental comment about my alertness" his eyes peeled open, Shaera swore under her breath.

"What would make you think that, dear?" She spoke lowly across the tent. Azriel stood, shadows practically dancing around his form

"Believe it or not, I'm quite good at observing" 

"Oh, a spymaster like yourself, good at observing? I would never have thought..." 

"You need to rest" He was stood above her now, his wings illuminated by the moonlight filtering through the crack in the tent.

"I am perfectly fine" 

"You nearly died" 

"Well it's not the first time" she mused half-heartedly Azriel growled his hazel eyes flaring... he turned and walked over to the desk, grabbed a metal jug and glass, he poured water into it then marched back over and held the glass out 

"Bed, now" Shaera blinked, black danced with hazel, she reached out and took the water 

"Can you read my mind?" 

"No," Azriel said, she squinted her eyes at him and hummed. Shaera brought the glass to her lips and gulped down the liquid gold. There was a silence as she drank, and then the glass was empty. Shaera licked her lips 

"I have a surplus of evidence to prove otherwise" Azriel shook his head 

"Perhaps you don't realise what I can feel through the mating bond" he was closer now, his shadowed figure towered over her. Shaera flushed slightly under his intense gaze. The dark-haired woman cleared her throat. 

"You can feel my dehydration?"

"No-" he sighed "-...You're insufferable" 

"Why, Thank you" Shaera slowly leant to the left and placed the glass onto the bedside table. Silence shrouded the room. Azriel moved and sat beside her. His eyes piercing through her very soul

"What?" Shaera groaned flickering her eyes to the shadow singer

"Don't you ever move in the way again-" Black faded to violet. He turned to face her, hazel eyes flickered down to look at the ex-commander, Shaera turned her head away. The Illyrian's hand moved up and held her chin, turning her head to face him again.