Chapter 11. Phoenix

Start from the beginning

        He shrugged.  "Still, you remind me of one.  Busy busy busy, lays on a flower still busy, and yet everyone notices you."

        Oh gosh, the blush just got way deeper.  Everyone notices me?!  More like he is noticing me!  His voice was starting to sound like smooth silk against my skin.  "What animal are you, then?" I asked, trying to divert his attention away from me.  And to find out more about him.  He seemed to enjoy throwing my words back at me and I liked that...

        He was silent for a few seconds, probably thinking.  Just when I thought he wouldn't answer, he said, in a low, serious tone. "A phoenix."

        Sun bird.  Bird of fire.

        Those words flashed through my head and I remember Mr. Ghost.  Then it just dawned on me.  I have a ghost communicating with me from the beyond, and I'm in a cemetery with the one person my ghost has 'possessed'.

        Perfect.

        "Did you get burned recently?" I joked.

        Seamus shook his head and the look in his eyes changed from playful jester to something sinister and cold...  "I was born in a storm of ashes."

        A storm of ashes?  That sounds like my dream!  A tremor of chills went down my neck to my back and a lump formed in my throat.  Oh, god, his voice... it was... ghostly.

        "Why are you possessing this man?" I almost squealed in a hushed voice.

        "Possessing?" Mr. Ghost in Seamus' body stepped closer to me and I stepped back.  His eyes were glowing now, and kind of blurry, like I was seeing double.  Like two pairs of eyes were in one.  "I don't possess.  I am."

        "Crypticism is not helping you, ya know." I retorted slyly.  "Why are you here?  You keep showing up and being all mysterious..."

        "Only by... another storm of ashes..." His voice started breaking, as if he were hanging onto the body and losing control.  Now his lips moved but no sound came out.  A layer of sweat formed on Seamus' face and he reached his hand out towards me.  I flinched and stepped even further backwards, away from him.

        "Yes?" I asked, gesturing him to continue.

        "I can be... awakened."

        "Awakened?!" I was startled and confused.  "By awakened, you mean revived?  You said you don't want to pass on, neither are you staying as you are!  I'm confused."

        He didn't answer and blinking twice made the double vision in his eyes disappear.  Seamus looked around for a few seconds before focusing on my face, licking his lips in confusion.  "What the..." His voice was crackly so he cleared his throat.  "I just blanked out..."

        Mr. Ghost appeared so abruptly without warning and vanished so suddenly!  Dammit, why did he insist on interfering with my life with tiny clues that I can't help him with?!  And why possess Seamus?!  I wasn't getting straight answers and it was bothering me to see Seamus' life messed up because of a cryptic ghost who refused to pass on.

        "Oh... I was wondering." I said.

        Seamus blinked a few more times and focused on me even more.  After a few seconds I couldn't help but flutter my eyelashes from nerves, then he lifted his eyebrows.  "You..." He pointed towards me in some kind of revelation.

        "Me?" I muttered, tongue-tied as my skin burned under his gaze.

        "You are the girl at the library."