Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones

Start from the beginning

"Yes, sir." Carlos answered with no hesitation. He smiled at me and I smiled back slightly embarrassed.

We passed through the office hallway. His employees greeted Mr. Madrid but he ignored them all while holding my hands and pulling me behind him. I remained silent because I didn't want to make a scene. Avery greeted us both but I was the only one who acknowledged her. I was getting pulled by the most snobbish boss in the world. We stepped in the elevator. I was hoping he'd release my hand but he didn't. I tried to snatch my hand away but my action made him grip tighter. Maybe I should just ask nicely.

"Please let go of my hand." I whispered.

"I won't let you ran away this time." he gave me a serious face.

"Then don't give me a reason to."

"I promise I won't."

"I promise to not run away. Just let go of my hand. It's weird. You're weird."

"I am." he admitted with a suppressed grin.

He let go but as soon as we were out of the elevator, he grabbed me again. I didn't know where we were going. People were staring. I looked like a kid getting dragged around by a giant. I wanted to scream for help but I'm not that scandalous. We stopped in front of a telecom shop. The salesmen inside immediately greeted a good afternoon once they recognized my companion.

"I need an iPhone." Mr. Madrid announced with his usual bossy demanding tone. One of the clerks, John quickly showed us the newest model. He discussed the features and specifications of the phone. Of course, the techie person that I am, I understood nothing. When I finally snatched my hand from Mr. Madrid, I took the time to wander around the shop. I heard him avail a postpaid plan along with the phone. "Here you go." He was handing me the phone.

"What?"

"I need to be able to contact you all the time. I worry when I can't reach you. I already programmed my number and my driver's. You can call and message me anytime."

"You're buying me a phone?" He nodded. "No. I can't accept this." I refused trying to return him the phone. "This is too much. I won't be able to repay you." I may not know how these phones work but I know how expensive an Apple phone is. Kyla owns one and her parents spent a great deal for that expensive phone.

"You don't have to." I tried to return him the phone saying I can't take something like that but he scowled at me and said, "Madeleine, please don't be stubborn. Just accept it."

"Fine. But you're not giving this to me, I'm only borrowing it."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine." I've never met a guy who rolls his eyes as much he does. One more eye roll and I might pluck his eyes out. Okay. That sounded morbid. And disgusting.

"Fine." I repeated.

The clerk instructed me on the basics of the phone. Gladly, I have Kyla to teach me at home. Mr. Madrid also picked a phone case for me, a white one with a silhouette of an angel in the middle. How fitting.

"This will do for now." he whispered taking the case from the stand. He put the casing before returning the phone to me.

"Thank you very much, Sir, Ma'am." the clerk said. I mumbled a 'thank you' while Mr. Madrid simply nodded.

"Let's go." he took the paper bag and grasped my hand again.

Mr. Madrid pulled me to a café not far from the telecom shop. He asked me or should I say ordered me to find a table for us while he headed to the counter. I sat at the far corner of the place. I checked out my new phone sending Kyla a text about my new number. It was a good thing I memorized hers. She'd die if she saw the phone Mr. Madrid lent me. Emphasis on the lent part.

He joined me minutes later with a tray of two cups of coffee and chocolate brownies. He settled the food and drinks on the table. As always, he moved with grace as if he was in a TV ad. I didn't have the heart to tell I only drink hot coffee in the morning.

"Eat." he ordered.

"What exactly are we doing?"

"Eating?" he had a 'duh' look in his face.

I wasn't hungry so I barely touched what he ordered. His confusing yet sweet words replayed in my head.

I wanna hear your voice.

It's good to see you again.

I missed you.

I worry when I can't reach you.

You can call me anytime.

I have this weird fluttering inside me again but this time it's not only in my stomach. What did he mean by those? I would've understood if we were friends but we're not. I knew a few things about him but he's still a total stranger to me.

One more thing, he bought me a freaking iPhone. Who does that? The phone cost my tuition fee for two semesters. Ah! Maybe I could sell it, buy a cheaper one and pay Mr. Madrid and my tuition. Nah. That doesn't sound right. It wasn't my money so I have no right to do that.

"You know, I'd move mountains just to know what you're thinking." Mr. Madrid uttered snapping me out of my thoughts. He just finished his food. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"Why did you buy me an iPhone?" I blurted out hoping he could give a less confusing answer.

"Because I can." What?! I snorted in disbelief and he was quick to add an explanation. "I already told you. I worry when I can't reach you."

"Yeah but you could've bought a cheaper one."

"I want you to have the same as mine." Oh. I was as confused as ever. "I meant what I said, Madeleine. You can contact me anytime."

"Do you just go around buying your employees new phones?"

He rolled his eyes. I hid my hands under the table to avoid taking his eyes out. "Here we go again with the questions." Irritation hit me after his comment.

"Look, if you don't wanna answer it. Then don't." I stood to leave.

"You promised not to run away. Am I giving you a reason to?"

"I just want answers. You're confusing me." he tilted his head as if he was asking 'How'. "You offer me car rides, send me flowers, buy me meals and an iPhone and yet you let me work for you. You spend money on me and let me pay you. It doesn't make sense."

"You think too much."

What? Of course, I think. I have a brain! "I'm going back to work. I have a debt to pay."

Gladly, he didn't run after me but a small part of me was hoping he would. Just to answer my questions. No other reason.

Once again, thank you for reading. You've reached this far. Yay! Okay maybe not that far since it's still all in the beginning but I hope you're not letting go of this story. Please COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE and/or FAN. I'd love to know what you think.