ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟙

Ama's POV

Tonight was the big night.

After everything that I, no, we, had been through, we were finally going to get revenge.

On the Dragon Hunters, on Viggo, on Ryker, my father, and maybe even the riders who had blown up our cave.

To say I was nervous about tonight was one thing, to say that I had been waiting for this moment since my father first abandoned me was the truth.

The day my father almost killed me started so normally, I ache for that feeling. That fateful day, three years ago, was when everything changed.

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

The sun was shining and birds were tweeting a little too loud for my liking. My older brother Arkyn woke me up by pushing me off of my bed as usual.

"Wake up, little veikr." I groaned in annoyance, bad enough my back was aching. My brother's nickname for me happened to mean weak and he called me that often. I pushed myself off the floor and threw on my usual bland outfit. My brother gave me a strange look as I stood up to face him.

"What?" I asked.

"You might want to clean up that hair, before Dad sees you," He said rudely.

I sighed, patting my head. My red hair always exploded in the mornings."Is it really that bad?"

"Yes."

My brother looked spotless as ever, with his navy blue tunic and large fur cloak draped around him. I however looked less so judging from the way he was looking at me.

I rolled my eyes and tugged it into the same two braids as I always wore. All I had to think of to ignore my brother was Mimir, who I knew was waiting for me at the other end of the island.

"Why so happy all of a sudden?" My intrusive brother asked.

"What?" I hadn't realized a smile had spread across my face at the thought of my best friend. "Oh, nothing."

Then I hurried out the door, trying to avoid being seen by my father.

My dad was the chief of our village, and he was very... opinionated. He felt that the only use for children was to become the next chief, and since my brother was already in line, I was useless. Except for the fact I could be married off to someone rich and powerful, joining tribes, blah, blah, blah.

So I tried to ignore him most of the time.

On the village's main path I met up with Acacia, Vera and Cassie. Acacia was excitedly talking about her newest plans for a saddle. Vera was listening attentively while Cassie seemed to be somewhere else completely, muttering something about the butterflies.

A twinge of jealousy hit me. Acacia and I were best friends, and she was amazing, but sometimes it felt unfair. I was the chief's daughter, and technically, I should be in charge of our dragon riding group. Acacia isn't even from this island, and yet she seemed to hold the reins.

Absentmindedly, I thought I saw a flash of dark blue dart past us out of the corner of my eye. I had a sneaking suspicion that something was following us. I shook off the feeling and ran to catch up to my friends.

Kara joined us eventually, and together we split off the main path and walked through the forest. Everyone else seemed to have no trouble walking through the terrain, but I could feel the thorns of the bushes scraping against my skin and it bothered me.