Chapter 18: By Any Other Name

Start from the beginning

"Tyrell, it's good to see you're okay. I was worried the frostbite had gotten to you. You were in that water for a long time," she says. Her voice carries a soft British accent, and it also sounds familiar. He recalls hearing a voice at some point after going into the ice water, but he wasn't sure if it was real or a hallucination of approaching death, but her voice is the one he heard.

He glares at her and positions himself slightly in front of Reela, keeping his hand on her back. "Who are you and where are we?" he demands.

The woman chuckles and rolls her eyes. "My word, you really are impatient. I promise to explain everything once Regan is awake. I—"

"How do you know our names?" Cree cuts her off sharply.

She sighs. "Well, I could lie to you to make it sound better than it is, or I could tell you the truth which is more than likely going to provoke you further. Which would you prefer?" she asks and tucks her hands in her pockets as she watches him curiously.

"The truth," he snaps. "What the hell's going on?"

The woman nods. "The truth is that I've been following you for a bit of time now," she says simply, earning herself a deepened glare and a threatening growl.

"Why were you following us?" he asks.

She takes her hands out of her pockets and holds them up peacefully. "Well... I technically haven't been following you, per se. But rather—"

"I swear if you're another agent looking to hurt Reela, you're going to have to get through me," Cree cuts her off again and tightens his hold on the child.

Reela shakes her head. "She's not one of the bad guys! She's really nice!" she steps away from Cree and smiles at the woman and she smiles back.

The woman nods. "I am not with the Dev'al Ordon, thank Mazenya. And no, I was also not following Reela, nor do I wish harm on any of you," she states.

He studies her through sharply narrowed eyes. "Then who were you following?" he demands.

The woman opens her mouth to speak, but she stops herself and looks past his shoulder. Her smile grows and her eyes soften.

Cree and Reela turn around to see that Regan is awake and making his way towards them. "Regan!" Reela's eyes light up and she sprints towards him.

She throws her arms around him and he smiles, but his eyes look uneasy. Guess the 'events' in Whiteridge are still getting to him. It's understandable but still hurts to see.

Regan looks forward at Cree and he goes to smile again, but as their eyes meet, his flood with guilt and lament, and he quickly looks away.

Cree takes a step towards him, but he stops when the woman rushes past him and goes straight for Regan. He has no time to question what's going on before she throws her arms around him and hugs him tight, closing her eyes and smiling blissfully.

"You're okay... You have no idea how relieved I am to see you alive and standing with me here of all places... I was so worried..." she says quietly.

Regan freezes and stares down at her. He doesn't hug her back, he just stands stiffly and tilts his head in both question and concern. His eyes dodge to Cree for answers, but he merely receives a shrug that signals that he is just as confused as he is.

Regan looks back down at the woman. "Do I... know you? What's going on?" he asks.

The woman tenses and lets him go, but she doesn't move away. She just stares up at him and her smile fades. "You... don't remember me?"