Chapter Twelve

Author's Note: warning. There is going to be mild language. I apologize if it offends you. Now read on and feel free to vote and comment! It means a lot! This chapter is dedicated to lovemusics7

After my tour of the gardens, I followed Jasmine throughout the building, trailing her like a lost puppy.

She pointed out the various offices of government workers and also showed me paintings. It almost felt like the time my mother and I had taken a tour of the White House all those years ago.

"Hunter?" Asked Jasmine, turning to face me and placing her hands on her hips.

"Hm?" I replied, staring at a painting on the wall. It was a good painting depicting the desecration of the land that had occurred during 2012. There were bodies strewn about along with soldiers. What really caught my eye, however, was the little girl in the back of the painting. Most people wouldn't have noticed her, but she was there.

Her face was marred by burn scars and she could be no older than five. She looked broken and sad and I longed to reach out to her despite the fact that she wasn't real.

"Did you hear me?" Jasmine asked, looking irritated. Her voice had taken on a slight edge and I took my eyes off of the little girl and instead set them on the girl in front of me.

"No. I didn't. What did you say?"

She let out an angry sigh before saying, "we are going to stop by your room so that you can change into something more formal. After that, we will join Him in the dining room. Alright?"

I nodded my head and motioned for her to leave before following. Formal attire? What was this?

She led me back to my room and opened the door for me, motioning for me to enter. When I did, she followed and closed the door behind us.

"I'll pick out what you should wear. I'll also do your hair and your make up." Jasmine said, walking over to the dresser that hosted the dresses.

I must've given her a strange look and because she turned to face me and smiled slightly.

"You know, Hunter, not every girl who can wield a sword has to despise dresses. You can be badass and feminine at the same time. I'll show you," she said, motioning for me to join her. After a moment's pause, I did.

"I just don't think dresses are very practical," I murmured softly causing her to laugh.

"They can be," she replied. "The only reason I don't wear them more often is because I'm a woman working in a man's world. If I were to wear a dress, they might get the wrong idea and think I'm weak. Why? Because men are stupid. I'm better at my job than most of them, but in this world, femininity is equal to weakness."

I stared at her, surprised at her outburst as she continued.

"You, however, can change that misconception. You're like the biggest badass around," she said. She then pulled out a simple blue dress. It had two thin straps and would hit me at my knees. The waist was slightly synched and, to my pleasure, it was not super low cut and would not show my wounds.

At the thought of the cuts on my breasts, I flinched. What would Jasmine think when she saw them? Would she think they were ugly?

Wait. What did I care what she thought?

Feeling hesitant I asked, "may I dress myself? I'm not comfortable with you seeing me undressed."

This question caused her to stare at me in surprise and then laugh. She had a very nice laugh when it wasn't sarcastic.