Chapter seven: Lincoln

Subconsciously, I was slowly getting used to this place. And it hurt. A part of me felt like I was letting my sisters down by not fighting hard enough to get out of this. I did message Emma again. But she didn't reply.

I guess she wasn't ready to listen to me.

Alex tried his best to keep me out of trouble, but I didn't make it easy for him. After all, me and trouble came hand in hand.

"Leave me alone!" I screamed, slamming my bedroom door.

He knocked on the door immediately.

"Lincoln, open up." He said.

"Go away."

"Son, open this door."

"I'm not your son." I growled.

"What's the matter?"

I didn't reply, leaning against the door to keep it shut. 

"I'm going to make us both a cup of coffee and you can talk to me about this, alright?"

He walked downstairs without waiting for an answer and I sank to the floor, resting my head in my arms and wondering why everything always had to be so painful and difficult.

I brushed away tears that misted in the corner of my eyes and wondered what I was crying for. I didn't cry. I wouldn't cry. I had to stay strong. I had to focus.

I needed to get back to them somehow.

Another knock made me blink rapidly to stem any more tears.

"Lincoln, open the door." Alex said, calmly.

"Go away." I growled. "I don't want to talk to you."

"Tough."

Silence.

"Are you going to open this door or not?" He asked, his accent gentling his words.

"No." I said.

He sighed and walked away. A few minutes later, a tiny, gentle electronic voice sounded. One that made me clench my fists in fury.

"Lincoln? Can you hear me?" He asked.

"You can get lost." I shouted, fresh anger bubbling. "I have nothing to say to you."

"Calm down, son. Emma's here." Louis said, softly. "Do you want to talk to her?"

I didn't reply and there was a sigh before some rustling.

"Lincoln?" Emma's voice made me soften. "Where are you? Are you coming back soon?"

I sighed and opened the door reluctantly, Alex held the phone out and I plucked it out of his hand without a word.

"I'm here, Em." I said gently.

"Are you coming back?"

I looked up at Alex who studied me. His eyes softened as he met my glare.

"As soon as possible." I promised, wondering why I was doing so when Alex and Louis and Emily and everyone would do their best to make sure that didn't happen.

I knew how this worked.

"What's the matter?" She asked.

My eyes flicked to Alex again.

"The world is just pissing me off." I replied.

She was quiet and I wondered what she was thinking.

"Promise you're coming back?" She asked again.