Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

He moved to a seated position, reaching down and pulling her until she was basically in his lap with a serious expression on his face.

"Talk to me." He said with concern in his voice that was comforting and endearing.

"At the bar tonight there was a man there that scared me." She admitted softly.

Feeling Hunter's muscles tense beneath her, Hunter sat up a little straighter at her words and a deep scowl settled on his face.

"Who? Who fucking scared you?" He snapped.

"I don't know. He was staring at me and not like drunk creepers usually stare. This was different."

The muscles in Hunter's jaw jumped and ticked beneath his skin as his teeth clenched.

"Different how?" He asked flatly.

"He wasn't drinking and he kept writing something."

Hunter's chest started to rise and fall with angry breaths the longer they talked and Kenzie felt him tighten his hold around her as if the man in question was in the room with them, threatening to do her harm.

"Did he speak to you?"

"No."

"Did he touch you?" He asked coldly.

"No." She shook her head rapidly as she spoke the word for good measure.

"Austin scared him away though. Yelled at him from across the bar."

The mention of Austin's name caught Hunter's attention, but she couldn't tell if he was relieved or angry.

"Austin knew about this guy?"

"Yes. I told him when he came to pick me up that the guy was scaring me so he walked in and yelled at him until the guy left."

A heavy silence fell over them and Kenzie could tell that Hunter's tactical mind was running a hundred miles an hour.

"You did the right thing by telling Austin. Thank you for doing that." Hunter finally said, giving Kenzie a squeeze and a peck on the top of her head.

There's something else that he's thinking, but not saying.

"I'm sure it was nothing, but I didn't want you to hear it from Austin. Trust and communication, right?" Kenzie asked, looking up at Hunter.

"...Right." Hunter said without looking down at her.

"I'll talk with Austin about it tomorrow. I'm sure he got a description of this asshole."

"It's not a big deal, I doubt he comes back." Kenzie said, trying to minimize the situation.

"If someone made you feel unsafe, it is a big deal Kenzie. It's a big deal to me."

His venomous tone and serious expression didn't match the flutter and warmth inside her heart.

How is it possible for him to be so dangerous and serious, yet so caring all at once?

"You call me immediately if you see that guy again, or if anyone else gives you an uneasy feeling."

"I don't want to bother you while you're at work or especially if you're home sleeping. Like is said, I'm sure he's too scared to show his face again, and the bouncers who work there are really nice and can help me if I feel afraid at work..."

Leaning forward, Hunter put some space between them, moving Kenzie so that she was facing him and tilting her face up toward him with his hands.

"I want you to call me if anyone ever makes you feel afraid. You understand? You call me. I will handle it, even if it's nothing. If you need me, I'm there."

Holding his gaze, Kenzie nodded her head in Hunter's hands.

"Words Kenzie. Say the words." He said firmly.

"I understand. I'll call you if I get scared at work and let you handle it."

Just saying the words gave Kenzie some comfort and relief that she didn't know she needed, but was grateful to receive.

"Back at the airstrip you said you wanted to be mine officially. Did you mean that?" He asked, still holding her face in his hands.

"Of course I did." She answered immediately, without any hesitation.

"Being mine means you're mine to take care of. It means I want you to trust me with the big things and the little things. There's a lot of shit that I'm not good at when it comes to relationships, but protecting you isn't one of those things. Do you believe me?"

His tone was stern and serious as if he were lecturing one of his subordinates and it put a smile on Kenzie's face, mostly because he cared so much about her safety and comfort.

"Yes Sir." She said with a smile.

The words caused Hunter's chest to inflate and he hugged her against his chest.

"Don't start with that shit or we'll never get any sleep tonight." He said with humor in his voice as he settled them back down into the bed, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

Letting out a sigh of contentment, Kenzie pressed her back against his chest, loving the way his arms and body completely engulfed her. Sleep came easily and she felt the weight of Hunter's arm drop on top of her as he drifted seconds before she did. Deep sleep threatened to take her in and she was nearly out when a wet dog nose nudged her hand from the side of the bed.

Poor bubba wants cuddles too.

Kenzie glanced over her shoulder at the sleeping giant that was holding her in place before quietly patting the bed, signaling for Zeus to jump up and snuggle against her from the other side.

Zeus happily jumped onto the bed and turned in a quick circle before plopping down in a big furry pile right up against her.

"Good boy." She whispered against his fur.

"Un-fucking-believable," Hunter mumbled in a groggy voice against her hair.

Busted.

"Oh come on, you know you love having us in your bed." Kenzie sassed, pressing her back even further against Hunter's chest.

"Him? No...You? Fuck yes." Hunter said as he laid a few well placed kisses on her neck.

"Get some sleep Kenz."

The whispered command made her skin pepper with goosebumps and she let out a soft hum as she nestled down between Hunter and Zeus. She had never felt so safe in her entire life and she had never slept as deeply as she did that night. 

*********

Thoughts? Theories? I love hearing from you!