"I shall not hurt you."

"Good." I introduced myself. "I frequent this library, searching for knowledge and keys to my past."

"I know." The Librarian hissed. "You keep my Bookkeepers busy. They speak much of you, and I've watched you with my own eyes."

Anyone else would've been downright horrified of a demon keeping secret watch over them, I felt the opposite. If the Librarian was aware of me the entire time, he would've taken the any of those chances to hurt me. "Nice to know I've been spied on." I remarked. "Though I can't blame you, I must be the first person to use this library in a long time. How long have you been here?"

"Time has stopped for me." The Librarian answered. "I no longer keep track of days or months, not even from the shifts of the moon, it does not matter. My new life and purpose is to the books."

I noticed he kept a great distance from me, whenever I moved close to hear him better, he backed away, as if I were ridden with plague. I've never seen a night creature act apprehensive around a living human. Even with my staff out of reach, he still had feathers raised like hackles. I made myself as harmless as possible by taking a leisurely seat in the worn couch

" It's interesting talking to you. You're the first night creature that doesn't instantly wanna kill me." I patted the arm of the couch across from me, offering him a seat. The Librarian stepped closer, but kept far enough where I couldn't touch him with an outstretched hand.

"I am of a different breed." The Librarian spoke. "I was not forged to feast on flesh and kill. The Forgemaster who brought me to life once more, created me for the task of overseeing the library. At his master's request."

"Dracula?" I sat up straight.

"Yes." The Librarian chittered. "He wanted to preserve the knowledge kept in these vast halls so it can never be lost to time and memory. The Forgemaster who crafted me summoned my soul from Hell with specific intent not of violence, like others of my kind. That's why I will not harm you, my nature is inherently different."

"That's pretty impressive." I scratched under my sleeves amazed. "I wonder if there are others like you. Who was the Forgemaster that brought you back?"

"A wise man named Isaac." The Librarian answered. "He no longer visits the library, nor does his master. They used to frequent here, but alas, no more."

"That's because Dracula is dead." I told the night creature regrettably.  "Maybe Isaac too, but who knows. I heard rumors of a powerful Forgemaster amassing an army of the damned in the Sahara, maybe that's him. I hope it is, the other one I've heard about is enslaved by a Vampire queen. Though they are just rumors."

The Librarian showed no shock or grief at this news. "There is another master, the son. He frequents this place, often alone and melancholy. Until you arrived."

"That's Alucard." I scratched, suppressing my blush. "Have you talked to him?"

"No, but I have watched him." The Librarian blinked his glowing owl eyes. "He is very fond of you."

"Oh! Yeah......I'm pretty fond of him too." I coughed and changed the subject. "Could you help me find something Librarian?"

"What is it you seek?"

There are things about me I barely understand. Last night Alucard and I defended our home from night creatures. I tapped into this.....power deep within me and destroyed a whole lot of them. The surviving creatures fled and these marks appeared when I unleashed that power." I rolled up my sleeve to my shoulder. "I want to know what this means."

The Librarian puffed his feathers out like an actual owl and hissed. "It's okay!" I sprung up an gestured. "I promise I won't hurt you! I swear on it! This means something to you, else you wouldn't be afraid. Please tell me, or show me where I can find the answer."

The Librarian's eyes flickered. "You do not know."

"I wouldn't be asking you if I did." I gripped the seat. "I've always gotten pieces, never the whole picture. I'm supposed to live in the present and look forward to the future, but how can I live for the future without the foundation of my past? I can't forget it, because the memory keeps flashing back. I can't ignore it because I have a glowing magic staff that vaporizes demons. To find who I am I need to know who I was. So please! Tell me. What am I? What will I become?"

The Librarian stood silent, like a demonic gargoyle.

"Please!" I cried. "I don't want to live in ignorance anymore!"

His feathers flattened, and he gazed onto me with clear yellow eyes. "You are my antithesis." His voice clearer than a ringing bell.

"I don't understand." I wavered, unashamed of my tears.

"As I am a servant of the dark, you are a servant of the light. A messenger of Heaven instead of Hell."

I felt a cold block of ice melt inside my heart. "It's true...." I shuddered. "I am an angel."

The Librarian dipped his head. "Yes."

"B-but how did you--?

"How does a cat know a dog, or a lion know a hyena is it's foe? Instinct deep down. We are mortal enemies despite our differences among our own kind."

" I don't have to be your enemy." I smiled. " You're right, you're not like other demons and I'm not like other angels. Heck I'm not even a real angel if I was cast out with burnt wings." Am I still such a divine creature? I have a human body with human needs and emotions. Are my powers and strange marking only vestiges of my past identity?

"The answer to those questions lies elsewhere. Perhaps you will find it within these books and old tomes." The Librarian answered when I inquired. "Regardless, your inner nature is unchanged, and I can sense it. Other creatures of darkness will sense it too, and take advantage of your mortal form. They'll jump at any chance to kill you." He blinked with a glint in his eye. "But I will not. I am not a Servant of Death. I am the Keeper of the Books."

.....

I ran to Alucard when he returned, drenched and bloodied with a full deer carcass over his shoulder. He set it down, removing his bloody coat when I embraced him. "Little One, I didn't expect such a warm welcome." He chuckled like a giant, rubbing my head with his clean arm. When he saw my tears he frowned. "My dear, what is wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. There's so much I have to tell you." I recounted the meeting with the Librarian and the answers I finally had about my past.

" A night creature that is peaceful." Alucard wondered. "Yes, Isaac was powerful and experienced enough to reshape a night creature out out of its basic instincts, though I would much like to meet this Librarian in person, just to be sure he isn't a danger."

"You taking it extremely well." I remarked. "None of this shocks you?"

"Well, learning that a demon has been living peacefully in the library under our noses is startling. As for the revelation of your past, I'm not shocked. I've suspected it since the beginning. I knew you were special." Alucard kissed me on the cheek, leaving me completely stunned. "Never in my life did I think myself deserving of a guardian angel."