Chapter 43

Larissa finally arrived and was welcomed with hugs and kisses by everyone, as she was almost the third sibling of the Crain family. After she accommodated herself in one of the bedrooms, she joined the rest of the group so they could all catch up. But during that time Eleanor was shaking, wondering if Larissa would talk to anyone about the truth. About how her relationship with Sebastian started as a lie.

After a morning of laugher and chat, the group was divided. Men to one side, ladies to the other. Sebastian and Ian spent the afternoon hiking and talking about their latest business ventures. As for the girls, they were snatched by Lina.

Lina planed a delicious lunch at a wonderful restaurant. They indulged in delicious Italian food. They stuffed themselves with bruschetta and prosciutto and cheese. Afterwards they went sightseeing and tasted every flavor of gelato they came across with.

Back at the villa, Larissa and Lina reminisced about when they were teenagers and told Eleanor all about it between laughs and glasses of wine from the Crain vineyard. The wine was amazing, soft, light-bodied and with a rich flavor of flowers and herbs. Even though the wine was exquisite, they did not commercialize it to the public. It was for private use only.

When the boys came back, Lina captured all of Ian's attention and since Eleanor had company, Sebastian greeted her with a kiss on the forehead and went to the living room to work for a while.

'You don't need to be so cautious around me, you know?' Larissa said as the two of them were left alone.

'I know. I'm sorry.'

'I don't intend on telling anyone how your relationship started. You are making me feel like the bad guy here.'

Larissa softly laughed, trying to let Eleanor feel more at ease.

'I know that you won't say anything. But that actually makes me fell even worse.'

'Why? You have nothing to feel bad about.'

'You are lying because of something that has nothing to do with you.'

'Don't worry about that. I'm not lying, I'm just not telling. It's not my place to tell. And I don't think that it even matters anymore. At this point, who cares how it started? But,' — Larissa took the last sip of the wine that was still on her glass — 'I'm worried about you. You don't look as cheerful as usual. May I know why?'

'It's nothing,' — she looked at her empty wineglass as the orange light from the sunset reflected on it — 'I'm fine.'

'You are lying. You are a terrible liar.'

'So, I've been told,' she said with a deep sigh and a sad smile.

'Then, what's the matter?'

Larissa had such a motherly and tender look while she was waiting for Eleanor's answer. She was always harsh on other people, but she never treated Eleanor with nothing but kindness, and that made it even harder for Eleanor to hide anything from her.

'It's just,' — she looked at the sun setting on the horizon — 'sometimes I still have doubts.'

'About his feelings?'

'About everything. It does not help that it started as a lie. The more I think, the more I end up doubting myself, then I start to doubt our relationship. Dating someone wasn't a part of my plans, at least not for now. I didn't think that I was ready. Let along like this.'

'That's just life, my dear,' Larissa sighed. 'Thigs happen when you least expect. You can't plan every single detail. And for you to trust others you need to trust yourself.'

Eleanor sadly smiled and nodded.

'I know. But I'm afraid of getting hurt and I'm afraid of hurting other people.'

'We can't avoid getting hurt. It happens to all of us eventually, I guess,' she sighed. 'I can't speak for him, but he seems happy for the first time in a long time.'

For Larissa, that seemed like the confirmation Eleanor needed.

'Maybe he only needed a break.'

Larissa chuckled.

'Maybe. How about you? What to do you need?'

'I don't know. Time, I guess.' She looked at the vineyard. 'Damn it. I'm so stupid! I'm going to go now. I'm sorry, you don't need to hear this. Specially, not after you warned me.'

'Eleanor, wait,' said Larissa, but the young woman was already racing into the house and towards her room.

Larissa was left alone, staring at the pool and the garden, not knowing what to do. She didn't want to get involved in this, and she said she wouldn't say anything to anyone. Even though it wasn't her place to do something, she wanted to at least confront Sebastian and analyze what he had to say, to see if he was aware of Eleanor's doubts.

'Where's Eleanor?' Sebastian asked his friend as she entered the living room.

'She went to the bedroom, I think.'

'You think?'

'She just needs to rest.'

'Is she okay?'

Larissa nodded.

'Just tired, I suppose. Lina can exhaust a person.'

They both laughed.

'Yes, she can,'

'You two seem to be getting along quite well.'

'What's that supposed to mean?'

'Is it actually real, Sebastian?'

He stayed silent for a few moments. Then he ran his fingers through his hair as a worried expression took over his face.

'What can I do to make all her doubts go away?'