Chapter 17 - Susie

The girl looking back at me my reflection seemed nervous. Days of avoiding each other and tiptoeing around the issue had brought us to Thursday evening and I couldn't take it a moment longer.

"It's not your job to save people from themselves. Not even unreasonably attractive bosses at Christmas." I whispered to my reflection.

I needed to speak to Henry, even just to clear the air between us and be clear on what I was able to give.

It was uncomfortable here now. He only left his room and his office to eat, usually choosing to do so when I wasn't around. I wanted to enjoy the lead up to Christmas the way I usually did. Not walk on eggshells with the only other company I had right now.

In my call home last night, mum had given me some unexpected advice, "Leaps of faith don't have to involve your heart. Just put how you are feeling out there. Talk about the loneliness you're feeling and the effect of the distance. It's up to him how he responds next but you will have done your best and that's all anyone can ever ask."

She had a point, but now, standing in the bathroom just down the hallway from his office I was filled with doubt. What if he didn't want to talk to me? What if he hated me now? The days had passed so slowly and without the phone calls I had with mum, dad and Ayla, I was sure I would have gone mad by now.

So much for acting like it never happened and nothing had changed, I thought sadly.

Making my way reluctantly to the door to his home office, I stood for a moment, my hand hovering in a knocking position. "The worst he can say is no." I tried to reassure myself.

Although I wasn't exactly offering something with a yes or no answer. Either he would stop avoiding me or he wouldn't. If he didn't, I only had one more week of this. I could get through that. I hoped I could get through that.

Before I could chicken out, I knocked quickly.

The knock was met with silence and after a moment, I dropped my gaze to my feet and moved to walk away.

"Come in." Henry's voice called out hesitantly.

My gaze shot back up. It was now or never. Opening the door slowly, I stepped inside.

This was the first time I had seen inside the room and it actually surprised me. The rest of the house was modern and minimalist, but the office contained an entire wall of shelves decorated with nicknacks of every kind. Framed photos and pottery in a rainbow assortment of colours sat along the middle shelf and below that were neatly organised books.

The above shelves were cluttered with a mix of ornaments and paintings. One particularly beautiful painting caught my eye, "Is that Canterbury Cathedral?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"Yes, yes, it is." Henry replied quietly. He was sitting in an olive green swivel chair and watching me carefully.

I forced my attention to stay off of him and took a small step closer to see the painting better.

"Did you come in to ask me about the art?" Henry asked, sounding both amused and cautious.

"No," I flushed, forcing my attention to him finally.

He was sitting in front of a long window at a huge dark wooden desk that looked like it belonged in a stately home.

He raised an eyebrow as if to indicate I should probably explain.

I bit my lips as my carefully rehearsed speech took a moment to come back to me. "When I said I wanted us to pretend that it never happened, I didn't mean for us to pretend each other never happened. You may be grumpy and a total Scrooge but you're all the company I have, and I would like to spend time with you." My words tumbled out of me in a rush.