forty-one - you

heart made of glass,

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|'It feels as though everything and nothing has changed at the same time.'

"L/n-chan."

Class had just ended, with the bell ringing to signal it. Everyone was either quickly leaving the classroom to play a quick game of basketball or taking out their bento boxes to start eating.

Your ears perked up as your eyes found the source of the sound. The first thing in view, a pair of kind brown eyes seemed to be radiating warmth. You could almost feel it.

But the expression on her face was far from one that someone would definitely call 'kind'. It was as if she was hiding it, somehow... Even though all that was painted on her face belonged to a strict, distant teacher.

"How have you been?" Mayu-sensei raised an eyebrow.

"Alright... I guess...?" You muttered, hoping it was coherent enough for your teacher to catch on to what you were saying. The last thing you'd expect you had to come across and deal with when you had first stepped into school today was to tell your teacher about your current troubles.

Well, she did seem concerned, and she wasn't close enough to you to get the entire situation anyway, right? As long as she could not match the puzzle pieces together...

Would it be okay to tell her? ...Just a little?

You studied the environment around you, noticing no one else except for Mayu-sensei within earshot as your other classmates who remained in class had all scooted quite the distance away from you.

"Sorry, L/n-chan. I try my best, but sometimes..." She sighed, before continuing, "People will always be people. Whenever they sense something a little off or different from themselves, from the norm, they tend to keep their distance."

Even with the amount of eye power you were using to keep eye contact with Mayu-sensei, you could never have guessed what she had been thinking to herself internally.

'I would be a very bad teacher if I said this out loud, but I hope you can understand, Y/n. Having to deal with these things is never easy, I know.'

"So. What's troubling you?" Mayu-sensei got to the point of things matter-of-factly, just like she always did when teaching in class. You bit your lips together, contemplating your choices when the words just came out on their own.

"Why... why do people keep leaving me?" You started off strong, but the last two words were barely a whisper.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

mind of stone.

words: 411
published: 13/11/2021