Promises

"I was thinking." She broke the silence of the room, trying to make it less awkward, "You should take proper sleep tonight."

"I'm good here. Don't worry, I am not operating Cora tomorrow, Mr. Jones will. I'm just assisting him." Arthur replied without looking at her.

"I didn't mean that." She tried to cover up.

This time Arthur looked at her with a sarcastic smile and she got that he can't be fooled like that.

"Ok fine. I'm anxious." Her eyes gazed at Cora, sleeping next to her, "my little girl, going through so much without any fault. I just wish to make everything normal for her."

"You can't. Because she is not a normal child. And this is her reality, but all I can say is, she is special. Very special for me. And I assure you, after all this, I will give her everything she deserves." He approached to bed and pampered Cora's head.

"I don't know what to say, what to feel right now. I don't want to offend you but I'm scared." Hailey accepted with great effort.

"Don't want to scare you more but I'm scared too." She looked up into his eyes, for a moment she strange as if she was feeling him. "Not as a doctor but as a father, she gave life to me. I can't let anything happen to her. That's the reason I wanted Dr. Jones for her surgery." Arthur replied looking away.

"I know it's not the time or anyhow matter of my concern but you trust Dr. Jones more than yourself. How? That man married your Ex. Wife and still you trust and respect him." She said abruptly.

Arthur looked at her as if not expecting such a blunt question from her.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"If you want you can sleep here on the bed with Cora." She replied getting up from the bed.

"No, it's ok." He hesitated.

"It's not ok. You are making her sleep all these nights, I can see how habitual you have become to make her sleep in your arms." She again said abruptly and realized her tone was authoritative, "I mean she is used to sleeping in your arms."

"Damn! I should sleep." She whispered to herself out of embarrassment.

"You can sleep in my cabin if you want. I'll be here with Cora." He replied sitting on the bed.

"No, I'll be fine at your chair." She approached the chair.

Once again silence reigns the room for a while but this time Arthur broke the silence.

"About your questions regarding Dr. Jones and my respect toward him." He took a pause adjusting the head of Cora on his arm.

"He never met Her as my wife. He still doesn't know who was my Ex-wife. She met him after our separation. All he knows is that she was an orphan from his orphanage, a divorcee whose husband was abusive."

"Damn! That lady is a who..." She paused in mid realizing his eyes went wide at her expression.

"You should mind your language around Cora," Arthur said almost rebuking her.

"She's sleeping right there in your lap. And stop defending your Ex." She replied calmly.

"I'm not defending anyone. I just want to live peacefully in my new world, which I'm just trying to build." He said gazing at Cora with a smile.

" He said gazing at Cora with a smile