stupefaction/unedited

¶Chapter Song-Cup of Coffee¶
¶By-Bearbare

"Is she asleep?" Meril inquired in a hushed tone.

Hailey stopped her with a gesture from anything further. She tried once again to tuck Cora in bed.

"Mom, Daddy...." Whimpered Cora.

"Shuu... Sleep baby. You need sleep." A silent tear rolled down her eye.

The day was terrible and exhausting for her. It started with the sudden visit of Adam which she dodged somehow with a lie.

Though the same lie seemed the life savior to her at that time but the gravity of the lie also reminded her of the dark truth of her life.

For those few hours, she had lost her sanity, her stability, and strength. But during the last few hours since She had to tell Cora that Arthur was not her father. That it was just imagination of Cora.

Her clarifications could do nothing to make Cora understand and accept the truth. All she demanded was Arthur, and he was nowhere around to answer her innocent questions.

Hailey had a hard time controlling her once she started to cry demanding her father. For the first time in her life, she had demanded for her father, and Hailey could do nothing but lie for the absence of Arthur.

She tiptoed out of the room holding hand of Meril.

" Hailey is she ok?"

"I wish I could say Yes, but I can't. She heard me calling Dr. Miller as her father. The worse thing is that she still hasn't forgotten it. I could never imagine this could ever be my problem.

My daughter has assumed someone as her father when I have to protect her from the real one."

"Hey, you are her mother and she trusts you. Don't worry. She will be fine, you have handled her well." Meril tried to console Hailey.

"I lied to her again Mer, I lied that Arthur has to go for some critical patient. She was still crying for him. It will start again in the morning. I'm afraid, this time I won't be able to handle it." Hailey exhaled.

"Haven't you told her that Arthur isn't her father?"

"I tried but she isn't ready to listen to me. She said that she heard me say it. She wants to meet him only."

"I guess it won't be possible, as Dr. Miller is not ready to meet Cora. Luke tried to convince him to visit Cora when you were struggling with her. He said, " You are her mother and you don't need him." Meril said as if inquiring about the reason behind his words.

"Finally he got that I'm her mother and he is just her Doctor," Hailey murmured in bitterness, "and what a great timing to realize it!"

"May I know what have you said to him that the man who used to spend his nights looking after Cora, denied meeting her when she is crying like hell for him?"

"I just told him his place and that's out of my world!"

"Stop barking at the wrong tree! Arthur isn't Adam! You can't accuse him for the pains Adam has caused you. You lied because of Adam! You dragged that broken man into your lie! That way into your world." This time anger was audible in Meril's tone.

"That doesn't permit him to steal my daughter Mer!"

"Steal your daughter? Are you out of your mind Hail? That person has lost his world and never complained, yet trying to help you in every possible way."